|State:||Republic Czech Republic|
|Residents:||621 [1 Jan. 2019]|
|Zip code:||373 66 – 375 01|
|Street:||Dolní Bukovsko – Týn nad Vltavou|
|Nearest int. airport:||České Budějovice Airport|
|Mayor:||Zdeněk Šálený (as of 2018)|
373 66 Žimutice
|Location of Žimutice in the district České Budějovice|
Žimutice(German Schimutitz) is a village in the Czech Republic. It lies seven kilometres southeast of Týn nad Vltavou in South Bohemia and belongs to the Okres České Budějovice.
Žimutice is situated in the valley of the Židova strouha stream in the Lyský sill. At the northeastern end of the village, the Žimutický rybník pond with the Žimutický mlýn mill extends below the dam, and to the south lie the Farský rybník and the Mnichovec. To the east rises Sobětický vrch (503 m).
Neighbouring villages are Hvíždalka, Čenkov u Bechyně, Záhoří, Cihelna and Krakovčice to the north, Hrušov to the northeast, Hartmanice to the east, Sobětice, Dubové Mlýny and Bzí to the southeast, Modrá Hůrka, Pořežánky, Štipoklasy and Červený Dvůr to the south, Dolní Kněžeklady and Hněvkovice na pravém břehu Vltavy to the southwest, Třitim and Kozlovák to the west and Předčice, Dobšice and Bečice to the northwest.
Kozlovák, Branovice and Dobšice to the north, Bečice and Dolní Kněžeklady to the northeast, Sobětice, Dubové Mlýny and Štipoklasy to the east, Červený Dvůr, Modrá Hůrka and Pořežánky to the southeast, Pořežany and Hroznějovice to the south, Litoradlice to the southwest, Hněvkovice na pravém břehu Vltavy and Zvěrkovice to the west and U Bulků, Čihovice, Břehy, Třitim and Předčice to the northwest.
Archaeological findings prove a prehistoric settlement of the village area. The Neolithic settlement discovered in 1970 southwest of the church at the Mnichovec pond gained international attention in prehistoric research, as until then it had been assumed that there was no permanent settlement in South Bohemia during the Neolithic period.
The first written mention of the parish village of Zimenticz was in 1261. Probably since the transition from the 13th to the 14th century, a small fortress existed in the village. The first verifiable Vladike was Jindřich of Žimutice in 1318. The lords of Žimutice were closely related to the Vladiks of Kněžeklady. After they acquired the Kněžeklady manor, the Žimutice and Dolní Kněžeklady fortresses served them alternately as their seat. In 1414, Lipolt of Kraselov owned the Žimutice manor. In 1511, the Kraselovský family sold the Žimutice manor, which included six other villages besides Žimutice, to the pledge lord of the Týn nad Vltavou manor, Jan Čabelický of Soutice. In the process, the fortress was described as desolate. Jan Čabelický’s grandson of the same name bought the other part of Hartmanice and the villages Doubí and Korákov from Johann the Elder of Schwanberg in 1554. After Jan Čabelický’s death, the dominion of Týn nad Vltavou was divided among his four sons. Karel Čabelický received Žimutice and had the fortress renewed at the end of the 16th century; he bought Hartmanice and Korákov from his brothers. In 1623 he was condemned for participation in the Estates Revolt of 1618 with the loss of his property and moved to Soběslav, later he was pardoned and his son Václav Čabelický got the property back. Václav Čabelický sold Žimutice in 1630 to Johann Philipp Cratz of Scharffenstein(Jan Filip Kras ze Šafrštejna). After his execution, his estates fell to the Czech Crown; in 1642 Václav Čabelický received the dominion back. On May 2, 1648, he sold the Žimutice manor, which had been devastated by the Thirty Years’ War, with the ruined fortress, the brewery, and the burned and desolate villages of Žimutice, Štipoklasy, Hartmanice, Krakovčice, Korákov, and the Sobětice farm to Jan of Eckersdorf(Jan z Ekrštorfu). The latter’s son Wenceslas Albrecht of Eckersdorf became heavily indebted. On 5 September 1676, he signed over the manor with the farms of Žimutice, Štipoklasy and Sobětice as well as the villages of Žimutice and Hartmanice to his creditor Johann Adolf I of Schwarzenberg, who united it with the manor of Bzy and attached it to his manor of Wittingau. The dilapidated fortress stood empty from then on, it was used for agricultural purposes and later rebuilt into a granary. In 1840 Zimutice consisted of 21 houses with 170 inhabitants. There was a local church, a localist building and a school in the village under the patronage of the religious fund. There was also a manorial farm, an emphyteutic mill with a sawmill(Žimutický mlýn) and a manorial brickyard(Cihelna). Chimutice was the parish for Upper Knjžeklad, LowerKnjžeklad (Dolní Kněžeklady), Betschitz, Krakowtschitz (Krakovčice), Hruschow (Hrušov), Dobschitz, Zahořj and Čenkow. Until the middle of the 19th century, the village always remained subject to the Bzy manor attached to the Wittingau manor.
After the abolition of patrimonial lordships, Žimutice/Schimutitz formed a part of the village of Bečice in the Týn nad Vltavou/Moldauthein district and judicial district from 1850. In 1910, 231 Czech-speaking inhabitants lived in the village. In 1924 Žimutice, together with Hrušov and Korákov, separated from Bečice and formed a separate municipality. Between 1943 and 1945 Čenkov, Záhoří and Krakovčice were incorporated. After the abolition of the Okres Týn nad Vltavou, the village was assigned to the Okres České Budějovice in 1961. On 14 June 1964, Bečice (with Čenkov), Hartmanice, Krakovčice and Sobětice (with Dubové Mlýny) were incorporated. From 1 January 1976, Dobšice (with Branovice, Třitim and Smilovice), Pořežany (with Tuchonice) and Štipoklasy (with Dolní Kněžeklady, Horní Kněžeklady, Modrá Hůrka, Pořežánky) were added. As a result, Žimutice became the seat of a large municipality with 17 local parts. After referendums, Bečice, Branovice, Čenkov, Dobšice, Dolní Kněžeklady, Hartmanice, Horní Kněžeklady, Modrá Hůrka, Pořežánky and Štipoklasy separated from Žimutice on 24 November 1990 and formed their own municipalities.
The municipality of Žimutice consists of the hamlets of Hrušov (Hruschow), Krakovčice (Krakowtschitz), Pořežany (Groß Porscheschan), Smilovice (Smilowitz), Sobětice (Sobietitz), Třitim(Tritim), Tuchonice (Tuchonitz) and Žimutice(Schimutitz) as well as the settlements of Budáček, DubovéMlýny, Korákov,Korákovská hájenka, Kozlovák, Židova Strouha and Žimutický Mlýn. Basic settlement units are Dubové Mlýny, Hrušov, Krakovčice, Pořežany, Smilovice, Sobětice, Třitim, Tuchonice and Žimutice.
The municipal territory is divided into the cadastral districts of Krakovčice, Pořežany, Smilovice u Týna nad Vltavou, Sobětice u Žimutic, Třitim, Tuchonice and Žimutice. It consists of three non-contiguous parts. The northern part is formed by Smilovice, the eastern by Krakovčice, Hrušov, Korákov, Žimutice, Sobětice and Dubové Mlýny, the southwestern by Třtim, Pořežany and Tuchonice. In between lie the municipalities of Bečice, Dobšice, Horní Kněžeklady and Modrá Hůrka.
Places of interest
- Church of St. Martin in Žimutice, built in the 13th century, the original Gothic building was rebuilt in the 18th century in Baroque style
- Cemetery around the church, it is surrounded by a wall with a baroque gate and the niche chapel of St. John of Nepomuk from the 18th century.
- Chapel of the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary in Třtim, built in 1904 according to the plans of the master builder Jaroslav Tyn from Týn nad Vltavou
- Niche chapel of St. John of Nepomuk from the 19th century, on the road from Třtim to Hněvkovice na pravém břehu Vltavy
- Chapel on the village square of Tuchonice, built in 1836
- Remains of the former artillery training ground and theVelký Depot near Smilovice and a grove with a baroque Štátule statue group commemorating the victims of the gunpowder tower explosion on June 21, 1753, in which 80 artillerymen died and 40 were seriously injured
- Wayside shrine near Smilovice at the wayside cross to Čenkov, created in the 18th century
- Chapel of the Virgin Mary of Lourdes in Pořežany, built in 1936
- Wayside shrine on the square Na Bábě near Pořežany, created at the end of the 18th century
- former mill Budáček near Pořežany
- Private museum of old carriages and historical agricultural machinery in Pořežany
- Homesteads in the Moldauthein style of South Bohemian peasant baroque
Sons and daughters of the community
- Šimon Bárta (1864-1940), Bishop of ?eské Bud?jovice
- Český statistický úřad – The population of Czech municipalities as of 1 January 2019 (PDF; 0.8 MiB)
- Johann Gottfried Sommer The Kingdom of Bohemia, vol. 9 Budweiser Kreis, 1841, p. 97
- Archive link(Memento of 14 January 2006 in the Internet Archive)
- Archive link(Memento of 4 July 2011 in the Internet Archive)
– Collection of pictures, videos and audio files