The Hirsch Winery in Kammern is an Austrian winery in the Kamptal wine region of Lower Austria.
The winery has been managed by Johannes Hirsch (* 11 June 1971) since 1995. The vineyard area, which is 100 percent planted with white grape varieties, amounts to 30 hectares (as of 2014). The winery is one of the most renowned wineries in the Kamptal and is known beyond the region for its Grüner Veltliner and Rheinriesling wines. The best wines come from the Heiligenstein, Lamm, Gaisberg and Grub sites.
The vineyards are cultivated organically. In 2013, the conversion to the gentle pruning according to Simonit & Sirch took place. The winery is a member of the organic association Respekt and the Traditionsweingüter Österreich.
Pioneer for screw cap in Austria
On May 5, 2003, the bottles of the top qualities bottled from the Heiligenstein, Lamm and Gaisberg sites were fitted with screw caps for the first time. Johannes Hirsch was the first Austrian producer who dared to put screw caps on the bouteilles of his top wines (until then, only bottles of basic qualities had been closed with screw caps, those of top qualities, however, had always been closed with corks), despite the highly emotional discussion among Austrian experts. Hirsch caused quite a stir. Helmut Romé, then editor of the influential Austrian Falstaff wine magazine, even called for a boycott. However, as it turned out, Hirsch was subsequently a role model for numerous Austrian producers. With his pioneering step, he had made a lasting mark in Austrian wine history.
In 2008, Johannes Hirsch was nominated by the Austrian daily newspaper “Die Presse” as Austrian of the Year in the business category for his screw cap pioneering act. In 2011, he was named “Winemaker of the Year” by the Falstaff publishing house, which had fought his pioneering act in 2003.
- Johann Werfring: Hirsch als mutiger Vorreiter Article in the “Wiener Zeitung” of 20 July 2012, supplement “Wiener Journal”, pp. 22-23.
- Gerhard Hofer: Austria ’08 candidate: The water buffalo in the vineyard Article in the daily newspaper “Die Presse”, print edition of 27 September 2008, online version of 26 September 2008.
- Peter Moser: The rediscovered lightness of wine(Memento of the Originals may 12, 2015 on the Internet Archive) Info:The archive linkwas automatically inserted and not yet checked. Please check original and archive link according to instructions and then remove this note. article in “Falstaff” magazine, issue 04/11, pp. 18-24.
- Falstaff. Weinguide 2014/2015. Austria/South Tyrol. Falstaff-Verlag, Vienna 2014, ISBN 978-3-902660-26-8, p. 153f.
- Vinaria. Weinguide 2014/15. The 3800 best wines of Austria. Edition LWmedia, Krems 2014, ISBN 978-3-9502275-7-4, p. 93.
- Peter Keller: Riesling triumph for Austria Article in the “Thurgauer Zeitung”, online version of 10 March 2011.
- Online presence of the Hirsch winery
- vita Johannes Hirsch
- Winery Hirsch on oesterreichwein.at
- Ten years of screw cap Article on der-winzer.at from May 4, 2012