Weingut J. Neus
The J. Neus Winery in Ingelheim am Rhein is a winery in the German wine region of Rheinhessen.
In 1881, Josef Neus senior (1856-1939) founded the winery in Ober-Ingelheim. The foundation can be seen in the context of the protectionist protective tariff policy of the German Empire initiated by Bismarck in 1878/79. The winery is located on Bahnhofstraße, which leads to the station of the Left Rhine Railway of the Hessian Ludwig Railway, built 22 years earlier. It produces mainly red wines. According to Meyers Konversations-Lexikon of 1888, the Oberingelheimer was called “the second best red wine in Germany, mild, fiery, filling the mouth and spicy sweet”.
In 1908, Josef Neus junior (1885-1968) joined his father’s business at the age of 23 after completing a commercial apprenticeship. After his father’s death in 1939, he took over the management of the winery and was soon actively supported by his two daughters. In 1917, the world-famous vineyard Königin-Victoria-Berg in Hochheim am Main came into family ownership, but changed back into Rheingau hands in 1973 with the marriage of the daughter Irmgard and Arndt-Richard Hupfeld from the Hupfeld vineyard. Josef Neus junior’s meritorious association activities were honored with the honorary membership in the German Winegrowers’ Association in 1957 and with the “Golden Chamber Prize Coin” of the Rhinehesse Chamber of Agriculture in 1960.
After the dissolution of the “Vereinigung Rheinhessischer Naturwein-Versteigerer” in 1971, the winery became a member of the Verband Deutscher Prädikats- und Qualitätsweingüter. Until 2012, Ulrich Burchards managed the winery in the fourth generation. Since March 2013, the J.Neus winery has been owned by the Schmitz family of entrepreneurs from Mainz and managed by Christian Schmitz.
Grape variety list
On 7 hectares of vineyards, predominantly red grape varieties are cultivated. The emphasis is on Pinot Noir, which accounts for about 70% of the yield area. Other red varieties are St. Laurent and Frühburgunder, which is typical for Ingelheim. Among the white grape varieties, Pinot Blanc, as well as Riesling, Silvaner and Chardonnay are cultivated.
The estate includes first vineyard sites like Pares and Horn on the Mainzer Berg within the Ingelheim district, which derive their character from the shell limestone terroir. Furthermore, the vineyards Burgberg and Rheinhöhe are cultivated towards the Westerberg. All vineyards are cultivated according to the guidelines for organic farming.
The buildings of the winery consist mainly of hewn limestone. They are bordered by Bahnhofstraße, Breitbachstraße and Mühlstraße. On the stately quarry stone villa, marked 1883, by the architect C. Richter, which has a balcony facing the street, there are historicizing classicist sandstone elements in the window and gable area. A wooden gate leads into the courtyard paved with basalt stones between residential and farm buildings, spacious cellar buildings and wine cellars. The farm buildings were built between 1891 and 1894 by the architect Georg Gerlinger, Mainz. An addition of storeys and an extension were carried out in the difficult years of 1920 and 1921 by the architects Markwort & Seibert, Darmstadt. The parts of the farm buildings facing the inner courtyard are partially plastered, the windows have green shutters. The buildings are designated as cultural monuments.
- Matthias Dietz-Lenssen: J. Neus. Pioneer and saviour of the Pinot Noir vine. Cultural history of the red wine town. Edited by Stefan Schmitz. Verlag Bonewitz, Bodenheim 2015, ISBN 978-3-9816416-5-3.
– Collection of pictures, videos and audio files
- Meyers Konversations-Lexikon, 1888; authors’ collective, Verlag des Bibliographischen Instituts, Leipzig and Vienna, Fourth Edition, 1885-1892; Volume 13: Phlegon – Rubinstein, p. 780
- History of the Queen Victoria Mountain(Memento of 26 February 2012 in the Internet Archive)
- History of the Hupfeld Winery
- Personalities of wine culture edited by the Society for the History of Wine
- Archive link(Memento of Originals october 23, 2011 on the Internet Archive) Info:The archive linkwas automatically inserted and not yet checked. Please check original and archive link according to instructions and then remove this notice. VDP Member Directory