Article

Read

Washkiwzi

from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Washkiwzi
Вашківці
Wappen von Waschkiwzi
Waschkiwzi (Ukraine)
Waschkiwzi (48° 22′ 57″ N, 25° 31′ 5″O)
Washkiwzi
Basic data
Oblast: Chernivtsi oblast
Rajon: Vyshnytsia Rajon
Height: 211 m
Area: Specification missing
Residents: 5.660 (2007)
Postcodes: 59210
Area code: +380 3730
Geographical Location: 48° 23′ N, 25° 31′ OCoordinates 48° 22′ 57″ N, 25° 31′ 5″O
KOATUU: 7320510400
Management breakdown: 1 town, 2 villages
Mayor: Mychajlo Sydor
Address: вул. 1 Травня буд. 2
59210 м. Вижниця
Website: Website of the municipality
Statistical information
Waschkiwzi (Oblast Tscherniwzi)
Waschkiwzi (48° 22′ 57″ N, 25° 31′ 5″O)
Washkiwzi

i1

Waschkiwzi (ukrainian Вашківці; German Waschkoutz, Russian Вашковцы

, Romanian Vășcăuți or Vășcăuți-pe-Ceremuș, Polish Waszkowce) is a town in Chernivtsi Oblast, Ukraine. It lies on the right bank of the Chernemosh River, approximately 33 km west of Chernivtsi and 32 km northeast of the raion’s capital Vyshnytsia. In addition to the town, the village of Voloka(Волока), located to the southeast, belongs to the municipality.

History

The town was first mentioned in writing in the 1430s, then under the name Wasko.[1] It belonged to the Principality of Moldavia until 1774, after which it was part of Austria-Hungary until 1918, there in the crown land of Bukovina from 1849.

The former market town became the seat of a district administration and a district court under Austrian rule. Since 1940 the village has had the status of a town. Important for the economic development was the opening of the local railway Nepolokoutz-Wiznitz of the Bukovina Local Railways in June 1898, which had a station in the village.

After the end of World War I, the place became part of Romania (in Storojineț County) and became a border town with Poland. In the course of the annexation of Northern Bukovina on 28 June 1940, it became a part of the Soviet Union (between 1941 and 1944, again to Romania) and has been a part of independent Ukraine since 1991.

There was a small Jewish community in the village, which was killed or expelled during World War II, but most of the population was of Ukrainian descent.

Sons and daughters of the village

  • Joseph von Cavallar (1739-1812), old Austrian field marshal lieutenant

Web links

Individual references

  1. History of the village Vashkivtsi in History of towns and villages of the Ukrainian SSR; retrieved 14 February 2018 (Ukrainian)