Waggonfabrik Gebrüder Gastell
The Chaisen- und Eisenbahnwagen-Fabrik der Gebrüder Gastell, better known as Waggonfabrik Gebrüder Gastell, was a manufacturer of railway and tramway vehicles in Mainz. The site in Mainz-Mombach today bears the name “Alte Waggonfabrik”.
The wagon factory was founded as early as 1845 and is thus older than the first railway connection in Mainz. The founder was Otto Gastell, a councilor of commerce. After he left the company on April 1, 1877, his son Albert Gastell took over the management. Later his sons Josef Gastell, Franz Gastell and Otto Gastell formed the management.
At first, wagons for the Taunus railway were built at the site near Münsterplatz. For this purpose, railway tracks were laid on Ludwigsstraße, leading in the direction of the Rhine.
Today’s historic yellow-brick buildings with their red-brick structure were built between 1896 and 1910 according to plans by the architect Franz Philipp Gill and are now listed buildings.
After the Second World War, the Phoenix Hall was the first hall to be rebuilt. The site of the wagon factory then served as a special vehicle plant (Westwaggon), bus plant for Magirus-Deutz and Iveco and finally, after the abandonment of the Mainz plant by Iveco until 1994, as the second Mainz plant of the Mainz Panzerwerke MIP, which until then had only been located in Mainz-Gonsenheim. After the failure of the conversion concept and the resulting bankruptcy of MIP or its parent company MIT Mainz Industrie Technologie GmbH, the site was finally sold to the Trier housing association TRIWO.
The Waggonfabrik site with the Phönix-Halle in Mainz-Mombach (between Turmstraße and Am Schützenweg) was acquired in 2008 by the Berlin-based BEOS GmbH for an international group of investors and is used, among others, by various resident artists, the protestant free church Die Basis e. V. , trade, industry and logistics companies.
The Waggonfabrik stop on the Alzey-Mainz railway line is still a reminder of this chapter in Rheinhessen’s industrial history. By 2011, it had been converted to be barrier-free using funds from the economic stimulus package II. The platform was raised by 50 centimetres over a length of 170 metres and a width of 2.75 metres. The stop is served by the RB 31 line every hour in both directions.
- Mainz tramway
- Western Wagon
- Wagon Factory Gebrüder Gastell. Mainz-Mombach. Railways and tramways. Company catalogue of the “Chaisen- und Eisenbahnwagen-Fabrik” of the Gastell brothers, founded as early as 1845. Illustrated are numerous railway and tramway carriages, railcars and interiors, technology etc.; 50 sheets with 50 illustrations in rotogravure, 17 × 24.5 cm, Mainz circa 1912.
- History ex Phoenix Hall(Memento of 2 May 2015 in the Internet Archive)