Valerian Treasure Trove
The Valerian mine was a mine mainly for silver at the Hinteren Rabenberg in the mining district Johanngeorgenstadt in the western Erzgebirge in the area of today’s municipality Breitenbrunn/Erzgeb.
The mine, which had been mined in the 18th century, was awarded to the Johanngeorgenstadt mine foreman Gottlob Traugott Gündel (1775-1843) in 1818 together with the Dorothea mine, the Regina mine and measures, the Osterfreude mine and the Karl mine. From then on, this mining company was only called Valerian Fundgrube.
In 1884/8, the hat house of the Valerian discovery mine was demolished. After the Second World War, Wismut AG reopened the old mine workings and operated shaft administration 253 here.
- Saxon State Archives, 40169 Mine files of the Schwarzenberg mining district (with Eibenstock, Hohenstein, Johanngeorgenstadt, Oberwiesenthal, Scheibenberg, Schneeberg and Voigtsberg), No. 1781
- Wismut GmbH (ed.): Chronicle of Wismut. 2. Edition. Chemnitz 1999, 22.214.171.124 Chronicle of the 253 Shaft – Junskoye Deposit, pp. 1740-1747.