|Thöni industrial companies
|Management||Helmut Thöni, Anton Mederle, Thomas Bock|
|Number of employees||750|
|Sales||270 million euros|
|Industry||Aluminium, Automotive Components, Environmental and Energy Technology, Mechanical and Plant Engineering, Hoses|
The Thöni Group employs more than 750 people at eight companies. These are internationally active. The headquarters is in Telfs, Tyrol. It is active as a producer in the aluminum, automotive and hose industries as well as in the areas of environmental and energy technology and in mechanical and plant engineering.
The company was founded in 1964 by Arthur Thöni as a locksmith’s shop and built its first production building in Telfs two years later. After taking over the hose production of Elsinger & Söhne in 1970, an anodising plant was put into operation in Telfs in 1975. In 1984, Metallwerk Landeck was taken over and the first aluminium extrusion plant was put into operation. In 1991, the business unit Environmental Energy Technology was founded as an independent company unit, which deals with the extraction of renewable energy from organic waste and renewable raw materials.
In 1995, the subsidiary Alu-Billets was founded in Kempten (Allgäu), Germany, which now operates as Thöni Deutschland GmbH. At the same location, Thöni Manufacturing GmbH became part of the Thöni Group’s mechanical and plant engineering division in 2010.
In 2006, Thöni Automotive Components GmbH was founded. At the end of the 2000s, the fourth aluminum extrusion plant was built in Telfs and the and the Thöni Academy was founded.
Today, the Thöni Group is represented internationally with sites in Austria, Germany, Italy and the USA. A new production site of the Aluminium Division in Pfaffenhofen (Austria) with fully automated production processes was opened in September 2019. At the new site, the fifth extrusion plant is in operation in combination with a hydroforming press for hydroforming.
- Aluminium extrusion profiles: The Thöni company currently produces aluminium profiles in Telfs and Pfaffenhofen on 5 extrusion plants, which are used in the automotive, furniture and construction industries, among others. In September 2019, the fifth extrusion plant went into operation at the new plant in Pfaffenhofen. The raw material for the production of the aluminium components is billets, 80% of which are produced from recycled aluminium material at the Kempten remelting plant.
Extruded aluminium profiles
high-precision aluminium components for the automotive industry
Model of a horizontal Thöni continuous casting plant
Thöni dry fermentation plant in Roppen, Austria
Thöni fire hose with typical marking
- Components for the automotive sector: Thöni handles long-term projects in the automotive sector with well-known German car manufacturers. The components for this sector are aluminum profiles that are processed on fully automated equipment under the highest precision.
- Biogas plants: In the field of environmental energy technology, Thöni plans and manufactures plants that process organic waste or renewable raw materials into biogas using dry or wet fermentation technology.
- Plants for continuous casting: The Casting Equipment business unit designs and manufactures horizontal and vertical continuous casting plants for the production of strip, profiles and round shapes made of copper and copper alloys, aluminum-tin and precious metals.
- Mechanical and plant engineering: At the Thöni Manufacturing plant in Kempten, cubic workpieces made of cast steel are machined to the highest precision for use. In addition to plant components for biogas and casting equipment plants, the Landeck metal plant also produces steel components for external customers.
- Hose: Thöni hoses are used for demanding applications such as fire fighting, agriculture and industry.
Telfs – Obermarktstraße, Austria: Central administration, Thöni Academy
Telfs – Klammweg, Austria: Aluminium division: administration, production halls, anodising plant. Thöni Alu-Welten
Pfaffenhofen, Austria: Aluminium/Automotive Components Division: Production hall
Landeck, Austria: Metal plant
Kempten, Germany: Aluminium Division: Remelting plant
The Thöni Academy was founded in 2008 as a centre for employee training and development. Apprentice training also falls under this framework, for which an apprentice workshop and laboratories were equipped in 2008. Four apprenticeship professions are offered in the apprentice training, electrical engineer, mechanical engineer, mechatronics engineer and design engineer. Since 2009, the Technical High School Telfs has also been under the umbrella of the Thöni Academy (Technical High School Telfs). The five-year upper secondary school in cooperation with the Bundesoberstufenrealgymnasium Telfs offers a broad general education with Matura as well as vocational training with an apprenticeship diploma in mechatronics or automation technology. Thus, 120 young people are trained under the umbrella of the Thöni Academy.
In the Thöni Alu-Welten, the history, production, processing and possible applications of aluminium as a raw material are visualised and explained. They were opened in 2004 and are located in Telfs.
Certifications and awards
Among a large number of certifications and awards, the seals of quality for training and management systems stand out. The company’s apprenticeship training has been awarded by both the State of Austria and the Province of Tyrol. The quality management and environmental management system is certified according to international standards (ISO 9001 and ISO 14001). In addition, individual locations and areas are certified according to further international and national standards, such as the NORM IATF 16949 of the automotive industry.
Research and development
In 2009, a research and development department was set up to drive forward the development of products and technologies. The research focus areas cover all company divisions. Thöni develops the technologies of biogas plants in the area of mechanical and plant engineering, production plants, such as the PU extrusion plant in the area of hoses, as well as processes and alloys in the area of aluminium.
– Collection of images
-  (Tiroler Tageszeitung, September 21, 2019)
- KR Arthur Thöni(Memento of the Originals april 12, 2012 on the Internet Archive) Info:The archive linkwas automatically inserted and not yet checked. Please check original and archive link according to instructions and then remove this note. (PDF file, page 9; 278 kB)
- VÖEB Magazine – With Bioenergy into the Future(Memento of the Originals of 9 May 2004 in the Internet Archive) Info:The archive linkwas inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check original and archive link according to instructions and then remove this note. (PDF file, page 15)
- Thöni expands aluminium plant in Telfs (ORF Tirol, 28 August 2008)
- Archived copy(Memento of Originals march 4, 2016 on the Internet Archive) Info:The archive linkwas automatically inserted and not yet checked. Please check original and archive link according to instructions and then remove this notice.
- Börse-Express – Thöni plans aluminium world based on Swarovski model