Theodor Schmid (Mathematiker)
Theodor Schmid (born 6 December 1859 in Erlau, Hungary; † 30 October 1937 in Vienna) was an Austrian mathematician.
Schmid was the son of an officer, attended the Realschule in Linz and studied mathematics and physics at the Technische Hochschule in Vienna (with Josef Kolbe and Viktor Pierre, among others) and at the University of Vienna. In 1882 he passed the teacher’s examination in mathematics (and in 1886 in physics) and in 1882 he was a probationer and in 1884/85 a supplent at the Realschule in Linz. In 1892 he became professor at the Realschule in Steyr and in 1899 at the Schottenfelder Realschule in Vienna, but in the same year he became Supplent at the second chair of descriptive geometry at the TH Vienna, where he became associate professor in 1900 and full professor in 1906. The first chair was held by Emil Müller. In 1915/16 he was dean, was elected rector in 1918 (which he declined for health reasons) and retired in 1929.
He wrote textbooks for descriptive geometry especially for mechanical engineers. He introduced the principle of rotational alignment.
In 1918 he became a member of the Leopoldina. In 1921 he became a court councillor and in 1928 a corresponding member of the Vienna Academy of Sciences.
- On the coincidence problem, Monatshefte für Mathematik und Physik, vol. 4, 1893
- On trilinearly related fields as spatial images, Monatshefte für Mathematik und Physik, vol. 6-7, 1895-96
- On a kinematic model, Z. für Mathematik und Physik, vol. 48, 1903
- On the constructive treatment of the axis complex, Jahresbericht der Deutschen Mathematiker-Vereinigung, Vol. 16, 1907
- Examples of mechanical engineering for design exercises in descriptive geometry, De Gruyter 1911, 2nd ed. 1925
- Descriptive geometry, 2 vols, Schubert collection vol. 65, 66, De Gruyter, 1912-21, vol. 1, 3rd ed. 1922, vol. 2, 2nd ed. 1923
- Über die Koinzidenzaufgabe der darstellenden Geometrie des vierdimensionalen Raumes, in: Sitzungsberichte Akad. Wiss. Wien, math.-nat. Kl., Volume 137, 1928
- Christa Binder: In: Österreichisches Biographisches Lexikon 1815-1950 (ÖBL). Vol. 10, Verlag der Österreichischen Akademie der Wissenschaften, Vienna 1994, ISBN 3-7001-2186-5, p. 296 f. (Direct links to , ).
- Member entry of Theodor Schmidat the German Academy of Sciences Leopoldina, retrieved 17 February 2016.
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||Austrian mathematician|
|DATE OF BIRTH||6. December 1859|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Eger (Hungary)|
|STERBEDATUM||30. October 1937|