The Theater franzjosefskai21 is a small stage at the Franz-Josefs-Kai 21 in Vienna’s 1st district Innere Stadt.
The small stage Theater am Schwedenplatz, which opened in 1970, was closed by its founder and director Herbert Lederer in June 2006. Alexander Waechter took over the venue, renovated it from the ground up and has been performing there since May 2014 under the name Theater franzjosefskai21. The new theatre opened with the play The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka.
The small theatre has 50 seats with uniform prices, is entirely self-financed and receives no subsidies.
- 2014: The Metamorphosis, by Franz Kafka, director and actor: Alexander Waechter
- 2015: The Court Jester of the People, Karl Valentin and Liesl Karlstadt, with Bernhard Majcen and Alexander Waechter
- 2015: Wittgenstein’s Nephew, by Thomas Bernhard, directed and performed by Alexander Waechter
- 2015: The Baron Bagge, by Alexander Lernet-Holenia, directed and performed by Alexander Waechter
- 2016: The Little Prince, by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry Translation, direction and actors: Alexander Waechter
- 2016: Mein Kampf, by Adolf Hitler, director and actor: Alexander Waechter
- 2017: KOMIK & NOTEN, Musical Evening a. o. Armin Berg, Hermann Leopoldi, Georg Kreisler, Gerhard Bronner, Directed and performed by: Alexander Waechter, On the piano: Wolfgang Tockner/Sophie Schollum
- 2017: Radetzkymarsch, by Joseph Roth, directed and performed by Alexander Waechter
- 2018: Aunt Jolesch is cooking?, director and actor: Alexander Waechter
- Report on the opening of the theatre on “APA-OTS” retrieved on 2 June 2014
- Website of the “Theater franzjosefskai21” retrieved on 2 June 2014