|State:||Republic Czech Republic|
|Residents:||182 [1 Jan. 2019]|
|Zip code:||357 43|
|Street:||Vřesová – Nejdek|
|Nearest int. airport:||Karlovy Vary Airport|
|Mayor:||Luděk Němec (As of 2018)|
357 35 Chodov u Karlových Var 1
|Location of Tatrovice in the Sokolov district|
Tatrovice (GermanDotterwies) is a village in Karlovarský kraj in the Czech Republic.
Tatrovice is located in the south-west of the Ore Mountains, five kilometres north-west of Chodov and belongs to the Sokolov district. The village is situated in the valley of the Tatrovický potok (raft stream), which is dammed in the Tatrovice dam to the west of the village. To the east rises Svár(670 m), to the southeast Liščí kopec(616 m) and to the west Havran(679 m).
Neighbouring villages are Poušť in the north, Černava and Rájec in the northeast, Humry and Nová Role in the east, Nové Chalupy in the southeast, Vřesová in the south, Křemenitá in the southwest, Mezihorská in the west and Hradecká and Spomyšl in the northwest.
There are no designated local districts for the Tatrovice municipality. The basic settlement units are Křemenitá,Spomyšl andTatrovice. Tatrovice also includes the settlement ofNové Chalupy.
The municipal territory is divided into the cadastral districts Křemenitá, Spomyšl u Vřesové and Tatrovice.
|Jindřichovice (Heinrichsgrün)||Černava (Schwarzenbach)|
|Dolní Nivy (Lower Green)||Vřesová (Douglasgün)||Chodov (Chodau)|
The village was probably founded in the 13th century in the course of the colonization of the mountain region. There is no evidence for the assumption widespread in some sources that a hammer mill and a smelting works were already in existence in the 12th century. Investigations of slag remains showed that they came from a simple and small punching mill of a tin mine from a later period. The first written mention of Tatrwic occurred in 1356 in the church records of the Prague bishopric in connection with the replacement of the parish after the death of the parish priest.
The village belonged to the possessions of the town of Elbogen and then came to the Litmitz dominion. In the course of history the owners of the village changed often. A parish school has been documented since 1599. At first the inhabitants lived from logging and rafting. Around 1740 the cultivation of potatoes was introduced and larger forest areas at the Fellerberg were cleared for the cultivation of the tubers. A quarry was operated at the Kugelleithe. In the second half of the 17th century, quarrying of quartzite began and continued until the end of the Second World War. The stone was transported from the mountains via Griesbach and from there via Zehrerstrasse through Grund to Doglasgrün. In 1830 a gold beating and ribbon knitting factory was established, which produced “Dotterwieser Schmuck” until 1913.
After the abolition of the patrimonial estates Dotterwies formed with Sponsl from 1850 a municipality in the district Falkenau. In 1895 the road from Doglasgrün to Dotterwies was built. It replaced the road through Grund, which was difficult to drive on. In 1913 and 1914 the new road was continued to Schwarzenbach as a connection to the Neudeker Straße.
In 1895, Josef Endler (1869-1940), a textile entrepreneur from Lodsch who came from a family that had emigrated from northern Bohemia, built a warp knitting factory in Dotterwies for his factory in Cheb. This factory remained the only larger enterprise to settle in Dotterwies and was the largest employer. In 1898 Endler’s warp knitting factory became an independent company; Josef Endler moved to Dotterwies in 1900, from where he managed the company and established branch factories in Mariasorg and Doglasgrün.
In 1913, the high-voltage line from Unter Reichenau to Neudek was built on the western edge of the village. Dotterwies was connected to the power grid between 1920 and 1922.
In 1921 the community became part of the Elbogen district. In 1930 Dotterwies including the villages Am Mond and Hintenhäusl had 579 inhabitants, in 1939 there were 557. After the Munich Agreement the village Unter Reichenau was incorporated into the German Reich and belonged to the district Elbogen until 1945. After the end of the Second World War the village returned to Czechoslovakia; the expulsion of the Germans began. In 1948 the village was renamed Tatrovice and in 1950 it became a part of the Černava village in the Karlovy Vary-okolí district. In 1961, the village was relocated to Vřesová and became part of the Sokolov district. In 1967, the reservoir was built to supply drinking water to the Vřesová gas plant. In 1980 Křemenitá, which had previously belonged to Vřesová, was re-municipalized.
Tatrovice belongs to the municipalities in the Czech Republic with a German minority. Their share is more than 10 %.
The Erzgebirge folk song Dotterwieser Fuchsjagd is named after the village.
Culture and sights
- Church of St. Erhard; the original 13th century chapel was enlarged in 1555, giving it its present form.
- Tatrovická lípa(Dotterwies lime tree), the multi-stemmed winter lime tree protected as a tree monument, had a trunk circumference of 16.5 m in 1983 and was thus the strongest of its kind in Bohemia. In 1997 the tree broke apart during a storm. Since then its trunk circumference is only 11.2 m. The age of the 23 m high tree is estimated at 400 years.
– Collection of pictures, videos and audio files
- Český statistický úřad – The population of Czech municipalities as of 1 January 2019 (PDF; 7.4 MiB)
- Historický lexikon obcí České republiky – 1869-2015.Český statistický úřad, 18 December 2015, accessed 15 February 2016 (Czech).