|Birthday||11. August 1991 (29 years)|
|National squad||since 2015|
|last change: August 6, 2017|
Tamirat Tola(Amharic ታምራት ቶላ; born August 11, 1991) is an Ethiopian long-distance runner who is successful in road running as well as track and cross country.
Tola’s first notable international result was his victory at the 2013 ?eské Bud?jovice Half Marathon in 1:02:04 h. In the same year he finished fourth at the Ústí Half Marathon in 1:01:27 h. In 2014 he made his debut over the marathon distance in Dubai and finished fourth in 2:06:17 h.
In 2015, Tola won the Ethiopian Cross Country Championships, qualifying for the World Cross Country Championships in Guiyang. There he finished sixth in the individual rankings and won the national rankings along with Muktar Edris, Hagos Gebrhiwet and Atsedu Tsegay. He finished fifth at the Yangzhou-Jianzhen Half Marathon, improving his best to 1:00:08h. He also competed in the Berlin Marathon but was unable to finish the race. He closed the season with a victory at the BOclassic over 10 kilometers.
At the 2016 World Half Marathon Championships in Cardiff, Tola finished fifth in the individual classification in 1:00:06 h and second in the team classification together with Abayneh Ayele and Mule Wasihun. Probably his most significant success to date came when he won the bronze medal in the 10,000-metre race at the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.
On 20 January 2017, Tola won the Dubai Marathon and also set a new course record with a time of 2:04:11 h. On 1 April, he won the Prague Half Marathon in 59:37 min. At the World Championships in London he won the silver medal in the marathon in 2:09:49 h behind the Kenyan Geoffrey Kipkorir Kirui.
In 2018, Tola increased his personal best to 2:04:06 hours when he finished third in the Dubai Marathon, but lost the course record to his compatriot and winner in 2:04:00 hours Mosinet Geremew. He abandoned the Boston Marathon in April early, as did many other professionals, due to the prevailing adverse weather conditions. At the New York City Marathon in November, he finished fourth in 2:08:30 hours. On New Year’s Eve, he won the BOClassic for the second time after 2015.
In 2019, Tola finished sixth at the London Marathon, won the Bogotá Half Marathon and finished second at the Great North Run behind six-time winner Mo Farah. He finished fourth at the New York City Marathon, as he did last year.
Personal best times
- 10.000 meters: 26:57.33 min, May 27, 2016, Eugene
- Half marathon: 59:37 min, 1 April 2017, Prague
- Marathon: 2:04:06 h, 26 January 2018, Dubai
– Collection of images, videos and audio files
- Tamirat Tola in the database of World Athletics (English)
- Gebrhiwet and Yalew lead Ethiopia’s World Cross team for GuiyangIAAF. 18 March 2015. Retrieved 30 October 2016.
- Profile of Tamirat TolaARRS. Retrieved 30 October 2016.
- Dubai Marathon 2017. fall instead of world record for Bekele. In: Runner’s World, accessed 21 January 2017 at 15:27.
- Geremew and Dereje take down course records in DubaiIAAF. 26 January 2018. retrieved 27 January 2018.
- The People’s Marathoner Yuki Kawauchi Wins the 2018 Boston Marathon(English) letsrun.com. 16 April 2018. retrieved 15 December 2018.
- Cathal Dennehy:Keitany and Desisa finish strongly to take New York City Marathon titles(English) IAAF. 4 November 2018. retrieved 15 December 2018.
- Diego Sampaolo:Tola and Gudeta victorious again in Bolzano(English) IAAF. 1 January 2009. retrieved 9 November 2019.
|ALTERNATE NAMES||ታምራት ቶላ (Amharic)|
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||Ethiopian long-distance runner|
|DATE OF BIRTH||11. August 1991|