St. John Nepomuk (Bökendorf)
The Catholic parish church of St. John Nepomuk is located in Bökendorf, a district of the town of Brakel in the district of Höxter in North Rhine-Westphalia. It was built from 1962 to 1964 and has taken over many art objects from the previous building, a hall church from 1828.
The two towers are supposed to remind of the Westwerk of Corvey and are dedicated to Annette von Droste-Hülshoff and Friedrich Wilhelm Weber.
The church contains several panel paintings from the Baroque period, a painting depicting the Lamentation of Christ, and a 16th-century depiction of the Last Supper. The windows in the two aisles show the Stations of the Cross.
The municipality of Bökendorf built a first wooden chapel in 1728/30. Since 1729 was the year of the canonization of St. John of Nepomuk, he became the patron of the church. This probably happened at the instigation of the Corvey monks and the German Bohemians, who also settled in Bökendorf at this time and spread the art of glassblowing in the Weserbergland.
- Georg Dehio: Handbuch der Deutschen Kunstdenkmäler, Nordrhein-Westfalen. Volume 2, Westphalia, Deutscher Kunstverlag, Munich 1969
- Georg Dehio: Handbuch der Deutschen Kunstdenkmäler, Nordrhein-Westfalen. Volume 2, Westphalia, Deutscher Kunstverlag, Munich 1969, p. 64
- Catholic Parish St. Johannes Nepomuk Bökendorf
- Parish church St. Johannes Nepomuk Information of the parish association Brakel