Article

Read

St. Antonius (Dottel)

from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Parish Church St. Antonius

Interior view of the church

The Catholic parish church of St. Anthony is a listed church building in Dottel, a district of the municipality of Kall in the district of Euskirchen (North Rhine-Westphalia). Today, the parish of St. Anthony, together with several other parishes, forms the community of the parishes of St. Hermann-Josef Steinfeld in the diocese of Aachen.

History and architecture

There is no documentary evidence of the predecessor chapel of the 14th century.

The 15th-century, two-nave, cross-rib-vaulted pseudo-basilica stands on a hill above the village. It was built of rubble stone and plastered. The projecting, three-storey west tower with a bell storey at the level of the nave roof was built in the 16th century, as was the choir house with the sacristy. The tower hall is cross-vaulted. There is a similarity with the Johanneskirche in Olef, whose filial chapel it originally was. The pulpit and the high altar date from the 18th century. The northern side aisle is lower than the central aisle, the choir is as wide as the central aisle. The nave and aisles are three-bayed, the choir is one-bayed and it closes on five sides. On the left wall of the choir there is a sacrament box. The sacristy is located in the angle between the choir aisle and the side aisle. From 1977 to 1982 an exterior renovation was carried out and in 1985/86 the interior of the church was renovated. The painting was done by Josef Bürger. In the process, two frescoes were uncovered on the left choir wall. One is the Last Judgement, with a size of about 200 × 280 cm, from the 18th century. On the other hand the Last Supper with a size of 130 × 160 cm, from more recent times.[1]

Equipment

  • A bell with the tone b` from 1748 was cast by Bartholomäus Gunder from Cologne.
  • The bell with the tone f` as` from 1967 was cast by Johannes Mark from Brockscheid.
  • The organ has 5 stops and a mechanical action, it was built in 1871 by Wilhelm Bertram from Engers. In 1900 it was equipped with a pneumatic action by organ builder Schäben from Cologne. The organ building company Weimbs from Hellenthal renovated the instrument in 1958.
  • The wooden altar with a size of 300 × 350 cm from the 18th century is decorated with rococo décor. The revolving tabernacle dates from the time of the altar’s construction.
  • The celebration altar and the Annunciation lectern made of red sandstone were made in 1985 by Rumpf from Andernach.
  • A baptismal font from the 19th century.
  • An oil painting on oak 130 × 150 cm in size, from the 18th century depicting the crucifixion scene.
  • An 18th century oil painting on canvas measuring 110 × 70 cm depicts the Holy Family.
  • The bust, probably one of St. Anthony, is 60 cm high, 40 cm wide and 25 cm deep.
  • An 18th century goblet made of gilded silver with a height of 25 cm.
  • The monstrance is made of copper and is gilded. It is 68 cm high and was made in the 17th century.
  • The red chasuble with elaborate gold and silver embroidery was made in the 16th century.
  • A cross group with the saints George, Clare, Barbara and Agnes.[2]

Literature

  • Claudia Euskirchen, Olaf Gisbertz, Ulrich Schäfer (eds.): Handbuch der deutschen Kunstdenkmäler, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Volume I: Rheinland. Deutscher Kunstverlag, Munich/Berlin 2005, ISBN 3-422-03093-X.

Web links

Commons: St. Anthony– Collection of images, videos and audio files

Individual references

  1. Claudia Euskirchen, Olaf Gisbertz, Ulrich Schäfer (eds.): Handbuch der deutschen Kunstdenkmäler, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Volume I: Rheinland. Deutscher Kunstverlag, Munich/Berlin 2005, ISBN 3-422-03093-X. S. 89.
  2. Parish of St. Hermann Josef Steinfeld(Memento of the Originals november 1, 2015 on the Internet Archive) Info:The archive linkwas automatically inserted and not yet checked. Please check original and archive link according to instructions and then remove this note.@1@2Template:Webachiv/IABot/www.gdg-steinfeld.de

Coordinates 50° 32′ 48.1″ N, 6° 35′ 45.9″ E