Spa hotel Klosterberg
The former municipal spa hotel Klosterberg is a listed building in Arnsberg that is characteristic of the townscape. Today it serves as a retirement home
Above the Wedinghausen monastery in Eichholz stood a summer cottage of the Premonstratensians. It was already mentioned around 1600. In the 1870s a hall was built nearby. Summer cottage and hall were used for restoration purposes with relatively little success
The city of Arnsberg and especially Mayor Löcke took up the SGV’s plans to build a new restaurant and hotel there to increase tourism in the city. The city approved 65,000 marks for the construction. It bought the land, the so-called Klosterberg, including the existing buildings from the Prussian state for 16,000 marks. The summer house was demolished in 1902 and the hall in 1907. The city architect Steinhof provided the plans for a new building. In the process, he prevailed against designs by Engelbert Seibertz, among others. Construction began in 1903 and was completed in 1904
It is a three-storey, steeply rising solid building. The style is described as simple (neo)renaissance forms. The tower is particularly striking, giving the whole a castle-like impression. In fact, the overall plan of the building high above the Ruhr may have been modelled on hilltop castles. Many of the original building details are deliberately reminiscent of historical models. Some of them were later replaced by simpler building forms.
In the new building was opened a municipal inn, excursion restaurant and hotel. The business was given to a tenant. The business was successful until the beginning of the First World War. During the war a reserve hospital was established there. After the war, because of the housing shortage, it served several families for residential purposes. Later the tower was used as a youth hostel and then as emergency accommodation for the homeless
It was not until the mid-1920s that it began to be used again for gastronomic purposes. In 1933, the large open-air terrace on the east side with a view of the town was roofed over. The plan to make the hotel the centre of a planned Kneipp spa Arnsberg failed due to the city’s unwillingness to invest. In 1943 the hotel was sold by the town to the then tenant. The hotel operation was interrupted by the Second World War, when the building again served as a military hospital
After the war, the house again developed into a successful gastronomic business. In 1988, the building was converted into a home for the elderly. Marseille-Kliniken AG took over the facility, which formerly operated under the name “Refugium”, in 2002.
The monument’s value is based, despite all the alterations and additions, in particular on its striking and townscape-defining overall impression. As the architect had hoped, the building on the steep slope above the Ruhr, together with the nearby Ehmsendenkmal, has become a landmark of the city.
- Senioren-Wohnpark Arnsberg (www.domizilsuche.de)(page no longer available, search web archives ) Info: Thelink was automatically marked as broken. Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Uwe Haltaufderheide: Die Baudenkmäler der Stadt Arnsberg. City of Arnsberg, Arnsberg 1990 , ISBN 3-928394-01-0, pp. 147-149.
- Heinz Pardun: The oak wood. In: Heimatblätter Arnsberg. Jg. 20, 1999, 3-7.