The Social-National Assembly(Ukrainian Соціал-Національна Асамблея, SNA) is an association of several Ukrainian nationalist and neo-Nazi organizations, and the Patriot of Ukraine group is considered to be its paramilitary branch. The chairman of the Social-National Assembly is Andriy Biletsky, who is also the commander of the far-right paramilitary organization “Azov Regiment”.
The SNA was founded in 2008. Among other things, in 2010 the group carried out a violent action in Vasylkiv, targeting foreign traders. In 2011, three of its members, including Volodymyr Shpara and Ihor Mossiychuk, attempted to blow up a Lenin monument at Kyiv airport. In January 2014, they were each sentenced to six years in prison. The sentence led to protests and violent riots in which eleven people were injured. On 24 February 2014, the convicts were declared political prisoners under an amnesty issued by the Verkhovna Rada and released.
In the framework of radicalization of the Euromaidan in November, 2013 the organization was a co-founder of the paramilitary rallying movement Pravy sector. Shpara and Mosiychuk belong to the leadership of the Azov regiment.
The Social-National Assembly is a neo-Nazi movement with a totalitarian ideology that advocates a “racially pure Ukraine”. The ideology of the organization is assessed by the Ukrainian political scientist Anton Shekhovtsov and Andreas Umland as openly neo-Nazi.
- Analysis: The Ukrainian Radical Right, European Integration and the Neo-Fascist Danger, article by Anton Schechowzow and Andreas Umland, German Federal Agency for Civic Education, June 2014
- Neo-Nazis in the house fightFrankfurter Rundschau, August 10, 2014
- Human Rights in Ukraine 2009-2010.12. protection against discrimination, racism and xenophobia. in: Annual humanrights reports. 2010, retrieved 28 September 2014 (English, Helsinki Human Rights Organization of Ukraine Annual Report 2010 “The raid resulted in the closure of some Vietnamese containers and the removal of Uzbeks’ and Gypsies’ stalls.”): “As a result of the raid, several Vietnamese containers were closed, together with the goods of the aliens, and the counters of Uzbeks and Gypsies were removed.”
- Dozens hurt as fresh clashes erupt in UkraineEuronews website, 11 January 2014
- Protest in Ukraine: Ex-Minister of the Interior suffers head injury, SPON of 11 January 2014
- The 23 political prisoners that parliament set free on Feb. 24Kyiv Post, February 25, 2014
- Ukraine-Analyses, Number 133, Published by the University of Bremen
- Ukraine conflict: ‘White power’ warrior from Sweden, BBC website of 16 July 2014
- Interview with A. Schechowzow in Der Standard of 23 August 2014