Solar Decathlon China
Solar Decathlon China is a technical and interdisciplinary competition in which teams of students from all over the world design and build a house whose energy needs are met solely by solar energy.
China stands for the venue and does not limit the origin of the participants to the Asian continent. The Solar Decathlon China, which will take place in 2013, will then be held for the first time in Datong (China) in the province of Shanxi.
The offshoot of the U.S. Solar Decathlon was first held in January 2011 by the Chinese government in conjunction with China’s National Energy Administration (NEA), the United States Department of Energy (DOE), and Peking University (PKU). A bilateral agreement was reached between the U.S. and Chinese governments for this purpose.
A similar agreement also established the Solar Decathlon Europe, which was first held in 2008.
Student teams from any university or college in the world can participate. Based on an application that each team must submit in advance of the competition, the organizer makes a preselection, whereby the field of participants is limited. In addition to the architectural and energy planning of the house, the organization and financing of the project are an essential part of the competition. The student teams have two years to plan and implement the building project. The competition ends with a two-week meeting of all participants, during which the teams or their houses compete with each other in ten disciplines.
The name Decathlon is derived from ten sub-disciplines within the competition. The prototypes are evaluated not only in terms of energy efficiency and innovative use of energy-active solar technology, but also in terms of living quality and sustainable development for the building industry. In addition, the public interest in energy-efficient and sustainable construction aroused by the respective teams is also evaluated.
In 2013, the following sub-disciplines are authoritative in the competition:
- Technical implementation & design
- Solar applications
- Energy balance
- Comfort and indoor climate
- Equipment with household appliances
- Marketability and potential
- Hot water supply
- Use of consumer electronics
The first Solar Decathlon China will take place in Datong (China) in August 2013.
Participants of the SDC 2013
- Tsinghua University and Florida International University (China-United States)
- Polytechnic Institute of New York University, Ghent University, and Worcester Polytechnic Institute (Belgium-United States)
- Middle East Technical University (Turkey)
- Abbaspour University of Technology (Iran)
- Peking University and University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (China-United States)
- Tel Aviv University, Shenkar College of Engineering and Design, Neri Bloomfield School of Design and Education, College of Management Academic Studies (Israel)
- Inner Mongolia University of Technology (China)
- Alfred State College and Guilin University of Technology and Alfred University (China-United States)
- London Metropolitan University and Guangzhou Academy of Fine Arts (England-China)
- Shandong Jianzhu University (China)
- Chinese University of Mining and Technology (China)
- Jiaotong University Shanghai (China)
- South China University of Technology and Central China University of Science and Technology (China)
- Southeast China University (China)
- University of Wollongong (Australia)
- Beijing Jiaotong University and Bern University of Applied Sciences (China-Switzerland)
- New Jersey Institute of Technology and Harbin Institute of Technology (United States-China)
- Chalmers University of Technology (Sweden)
- University of Technology Malaysia (Malaysia)
- American University Cairo (Egypt)
- Xiamen University (China)
- Xi’an University of Architecture and Technology (China)
- National University of Singapore (Singapore).
- Solar Decathlon China – Official Organizer Website English
- Solar Decathlon China Teams 2013 – Official Organizer Website Chinese
- Solar Decathlon – Official website of the US parent organization
- Solar Decathlon Europe Teams 2012 – Solar Competition Houses
- Website of the Solar Decathlon 2013 in China (English website)(Memento of the Originals march 15, 2013 on the Internet Archive) Info:The archive linkwas automatically inserted and not yet checked. Please check original and archive link according to instructions and then remove this note. retrieved 7 March 2013
- Daily Telegraph report (English website) retrieved 8 March 2013
- Founding agreement of the Solar Decathlon China(page no longer available, search web archives ) Info: Thelink was automatically marked as broken. Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice., retrieved March 18, 2013.
- What is Solar Decathlon Europe? (English website) retrieved on 24 October 2012
Solar Decathlon China Competition Rules 2013(Memento of the Originals march 4, 2016 on the Internet Archive) Info:The archive linkwas automatically inserted and not yet checked. Please check original and archive link according to instructions and then remove this note. (PDF; 1.5 MB)
retrieved 18 March 2013