|Telephone area code:||(+48) 87|
|Economy and transport|
|Street:||Baranowo/DK 16 → Śmietki Małe|
|Railroad:||no rail connection|
|Nearest int. airport:||Gdansk|
Śmietki Małe (GermanLudwigshof, also Klein Schnittken) is a small village in the Polish province of Warmia and Mazury. It belongs to the township and rural gmina of Mikołajki (GermanNikolaiken) in the powiat of Mrągowski (county of Sensburg).
Śmietki Małe is located in the middle of the Warmia-Masuria Voivodeship, eleven kilometres southeast of the district town of Mrągowo (GermanSensburg).
After 1945, the Polish place name “Śmietki Małe” initially carried the village with the former German name “Klein Schnittken“. However, this place no longer exists. The name “Śmietki Małe” was then transferred to the village further north called “Ludwigshof“.
Klein Schnittken was founded on 22 March 1838 and was Vorwerk zu Schnittken(Polish Śmietki), to whose estate it belonged. In 1910 there were seven registered inhabitants in Klein Schnittken. On September 30, 1928, the estate district of Schnittken and with it the outlying estate of Klein Schnittken were incorporated into the rural municipality of Inulzen (1938 to 1945 Neufasten, Polish Inulec), which was then renamed the “rural municipality of Schnittken”.
In 1945, as a result of the war, Klein Schnittken was transferred to Poland along with the whole of southern East Prussia, and was given the Polish name “Śmietki Małe” until its existence was lost and the place name was transferred to the former Ludwigshof.
The small village of Ludwigshof was founded in 1823 and formed by a medium-sized farm. Until 1945 it was a place of residence in the rural community of Barranowen (1938 to 1945 Hoverbeck, Polish Baranowo) in the district of Sensburg in the administrative district of Gumbinnen (from 1905: administrative district of Allenstein) in the Prussian province of East Prussia. In 1905 Ludwigshof had 21 inhabitants.
When Ludwigshof came to Poland with southern East Prussia in 1945, the small village was given the Polish name “Śmietki Małe”, which had previously been given to the now extinct village of Klein Schnittken. Śmietki Małe is now a locality in the Mikołajki (Nikolaiken) urban and rural commune in the Mrągowski powiat ( Sensburg district), which until 1998 belonged to the Suwałki voivodship, since then to the Warmia-Masuria voivodship.
Both Klein Schnittken and Ludwigshof were before 1945 incorporated into the Protestant church Barranowen (1938 to 1945 Hoverbeck, Polish Baranowo) in the ecclesiastical province of East Prussia of the Church of the Old Prussian Union as well as in the Catholic church of St. Adalbert in Sensburg (Polish Mrągowo) in the diocese of Warmia
Today Śmietki Małe belongs to the Evangelical Church of Mikołajki in the Diocese of Masuria of the Evangelical Augsburg Church in Poland, as well as the Catholic Parish Church of Baranowo in the Diocese of Ełk in the Polish Catholic Church.
Śmietki Małe is located south of the Polish national road 16 (old German Reichsstraße 127) and can be reached via Baranowo (Barranowen, 1938 to 1945 Hoverbeck) by a direct route. Baranowo was also the nearest railway station from Ludwigshof or Śmietki Małe until 2009. It was located on the railway line Czerwonka-Ełk (GermanRothfließ-Lyck), which is no longer used.
The former Klein Schnittken was accessible via a side road from Śmietki (Schnittken).
- Klein Schnittken at GenWiki
- Ludwigshof (county of Sensburg) at GenWiki
- Dietrich Lange, Geographical Register of Places in East Prussia (2005): Klein Schnittken
- Dietrich Lange, Geographical Register of Places in East Prussia (2005): Ludwigshof
- Walther Hubatsch, Geschichte der evangelischen Kirche Ostpreußens, vol. 3 Dokumente, Göttingen 1968, p. 501