|Location in Québec|
|MRC or equivalent:||La Jacques-Cartier|
|Residents:||2933 (as of 2011)|
|Population Density:||6.7 inhabitants/km²|
|Time Zone:||Eastern Time (UTC-5)|
|Area code:||+1 418|
Location in the MRC La Jacques-Cartier
Saint-Gabriel-de-Valcartier is a municipality in the south of the Canadian province of Québec. It is located in the administrative region of Capitale-Nationale, about 25 km northwest of the centre of the provincial capital of Québec. Saint-Gabriel-de-Valcartier is part of the regional county municipality (municipalité régionale du comté) of La Jacques-Cartier, has an area of 435.44 km² and has 2,933 inhabitants (2011).
Saint-Gabriel-de-Valcartier is located in the valley of the Rivière Jacques-Cartier on the edge of the Laurentian Mountains, with settlement concentrated on the eastern bank in the southernmost part of the commune. The northern half of the territory is drained by the Rivière aux Pins. The terrain is characterized by forested mountains that rise up to 780 meters. Between these elevations are numerous small lakes. The area around the largest lake (Lac Tantaré) is protected as the Réserve écologique de Tantaré.
Neighbouring communities are Stoneham-et-Tewkesbury to the northeast, Quebec to the southeast, Shannon to the southwest, Saint-Raymond to the west and Lac-Blanc to the northwest.
In 1647, Robert Giffard de Moncel was granted the seigneurie of Saint-Gabriel, which became the property of the Jesuits in 1667. The area remained undeveloped until 1812, when the first settlers built a road. Four years later, four businessmen purchased most of the available land, laying the groundwork for systematic settlement. At first, mostly Irish and Scottish immigrants settled. The municipality was founded in 1855 and seven years later divided into two (Saint-Gabriel-de-Valcartier and Saint-Gabriel Ouest). In 1985, the two municipalities merged again. Since 2002, Saint-Gabriel-de-Valcartier has been part of the Communauté métropolitaine de Québec.
According to the 2011 census, Saint-Gabriel-de-Valcartier had 2,933 inhabitants, corresponding to a population density of 6.7 inhabitants/km². 86.0% of the population reported French as their main language, with English accounting for 10.9%. Bilingual (French and English) was declared by 2.0%, other languages and multiple answers by 1.1%. French was the only language spoken by 50.7%. In 2001, 82.7% of the population were Roman Catholic, 10.2% Protestant and 7.1% non-denominational.
Economy and transport
Saint-Gabriel-de-Valcartier is strongly influenced by tourism. This is mainly due to the Village Vacances Valcartier theme park. Also of economic importance is CFB Valcartier, a military base of the Canadian Army that has existed since 1914.
Saint-Gabriel-de-Valcartier is connected to Québec City by the main road 371. There is also a bus line of the Transport collectif de la Jacques-Cartier company.
The training and competition centre for biathlon, the Myriam Bédard Training Centre, is located on the territory of the municipality. The facility is named after the former biathlete, world champion and Olympic champion in biathlon, Myriam Bédard.
– Collection of images, videos and audio files
- Saint-Gabriel-de-Valcartier.Commission de toponymie du Québec, retrieved 10 April 2014 (French).
- Historique.City of Saint-Gabriel-de-Valcartier, retrieved 10 April 2014 (French).
- Population profile of the municipality of Saint-Gabriel-de-Valcartier.In:2011 Census of Population. Statistics Canada, 2011, accessed 10 April 2014 (French).
- Population profile of the municipality of Saint-Gabriel-de-Valcartier.In:2001 Census of Population. Statistics Canada, 2001, accessed April 10, 2014 (French).