Rosa Csillag, née Rosa Goldstein, also Rosa Herrmann-Csillag, Róza Csillag (* 23 October 1832 in Irschau, Albertirsa; † 20 February 1892 in Vienna) was a Hungarian-Austrian opera singer (mezzo-soprano).
She comes from a Jewish family, her father was a cantor in Irschau. She performed as a dancer in Raab (Győr) as a child at the age of eight. Then she came to the National Theatre in Budapest, where she performed in small singing roles. After five years she went to Vienna, where she made a meager living doing needlework, but took singing lessons from Heinrich Proch and the tenor Alois Ander. The latter recommended her to Berlin, where in 1849 she was given the role of Fidès in Meyerbeer’s Le prophète, which was to remain one of the glamorous roles of her repertoire. From 1850 to 1861 she was engaged at the Court Opera in Vienna. On leave, guest performances took her to St Petersburg, Moscow, Paris, London and Milan, where she was celebrated everywhere.
In 1852 she married the famous sleight of hand and magician Compars Herrmann; the marriage was soon separated. The opera singer and actress Blanche Corelli is descended from this marriage.
When her voice began to falter, she became a singing teacher at the Vienna Conservatory. In 1855 she recommended to the young aspiring tenor Gustav Walter that he move from Brno to Vienna, which led to a thirty-year engagement at the Vienna Court Opera.
She was the aunt of the opera singers Karl and Rosa Streitmann.
- Fidès in Le prophète (The Prophet) by Meyerbeer
- Romeo in I Capuleti e i Montecchi by Bellini
- Lucrezia in Lucrezia Borgia by Gaetano Donizetti
- Rosa Streitmann
- Constantin von Wurzbach: Csillag, Rosa. In: Biographisches Lexikon des Kaiserthums Oesterreich. 3.Part. Published by the typographical-literary-artistic. Anstalt (L. C. Zamarski, C. Dittmarsch & Comp.), Vienna 1858, p. 59 f.(Digitalisat).
- Constantin von Wurzbach: Herrmann-Csillag, Rosa. In: Biographisches Lexikon des Kaiserthums Oesterreich. 8. part. Kaiserlich-königliche Hof- und Staatsdruckerei, Vienna 1862, p. 398 (Digitalisat).
- Ludwig Eisenberg: Großes biographisches Lexikon der Deutschen Bühne im XIX. Jahrhundert. Verlag von Paul List, Leipzig 1903, p. 169 f.,(Text Archive – Internet Archive).
- In: Österreichisches Biographisches Lexikon 1815-1950 (ÖBL). Vol. 1, Verlag der Österreichischen Akademie der Wissenschaften, Vienna 1957, p. 158.
- Karl-Josef Kutsch, Leo Riemens: Großes Sängerlexikon. Fourth, expanded and updated edition, Munich 2003, ISBN 3-598-11598-9, p. 4941f
– Collection of pictures, videos and audio files
- Rosa Csillag at Operissimo on the basis of the Great Singer’s Encyclopedia
- Ludwig Eisenberg: Großes biographisches Lexikon der Deutschen Bühne im XIX. Jahrhundert. Verlag von Paul List, Leipzig 1903, p. 1013,(Text Archive – Internet Archive).
|ALTERNATE NAMES||Goldstein, Rosa (maiden name); Herrmann-Csillag, Rosa (full name); Csillag, Róza|
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||hungarian-Austrian opera singer (mezzo-soprano)|
|DATE OF BIRTH||23. October 1832|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Irisa, Albertirsa|
|STERBEDATUM||20. February 1892|