Remzi Kaplan (born 3 August 1960 in Yozgat, Turkey) is a German-Turkish kebab producer in Berlin-Gesundbrunnen. He is shareholder and managing director of Kaplan Dönerproduktion GmbH and since June 2007 chairman of the Turkish-German Entrepreneurs Association Berlin Brandenburg. From 2006 to 2007 he was 1st chairman of the football club Türkiyemspor Berlin.
Kaplan grew up in the Anatolian village of Bahadın near Yozgat. His parents were caretakers, and Kaplan worked as a messenger and vegetable seller while still at school. His parents went to Germany as guest workers and allowed their son, who had been living with his grandparents in the meantime, to join them in the early 1970s.
Kaplan married in 1977, and his son and two daughters work in his business.
Initially, Kaplan operated kebab shops in West Berlin. After the fall of the Berlin Wall, Kaplan expanded his kebab shops to the eastern part of the city. In 1991, he and his brother opened their first meat factory. This was followed by production facilities in Zevenaar (1994), Hamburg (1996), Schönwalde (1999) and Berlin (2001). In July 2004, Kaplan and a Polish partner in Szczecin opened a sales office for the production of doner kebabs for Poland. Since 2007 he is the biggest doner producer in the EU. In Berlin alone he supplies about 1000 snack shops.
His company is on the board of the Association of Turkish Doner Kebab Manufacturers in Europe ATDID.
The Berlin press refers to Kaplan as the “King of Doner Kebab” or “Kebab King”.
Rotten meat scandal
In September 2006, after a customer complained of nausea after eating, Kaplan’s plant seized about four tons of meat that was unfit for consumption. In 2007, Kaplan announced a charge of defamation against the spokesman for the district attorney’s office who had mentioned his name in connection with disgusting meat. He referred to his efforts for a “transparent production” and his efforts to introduce a kebab quality seal. Kaplan contradicted the assumption of an official veterinarian that a spit manufacturer involved in the rotten meat scandal might not have recognized the inferior meat quality: “You can see and smell something like that”.
In 2008, the public prosecutor’s office brought charges of “putting food unsuitable for consumption into circulation”. On 15 May 2008, the Berlin-Tiergarten District Court sentenced Kaplan to a fine of 40,000 euros (400 daily sentences of 100 euros each). A second charge of mislabeling the composition and origin of the meat was dropped.
- TDU Berlin – Board of Directors(Memento of the Originals of May 27, 2013 in the Internet Archive) Info:The archive linkwas inserted automatically and not yet checked. Please check original and archive link according to instructions and then remove this note. Website of the Turkish-German Business Association Berlin Brandenburg e.V.
- Monday Interview with Remzi Kaplan: “Now I have tons of meat” Taz, 18 July 2011
- The kebab king Mindener Tageblatt, 31 October 2011
- “In the kebab accession country”, Berliner Zeitung, 5 July 2004
- “Remzi Kaplan donated the jerseys to the sports club”, Berliner Zeitung, August 20, 1999
- “Kaplan goes to Poland”, FAZ, 8 June 2004
- ATDID e.V – Board of Directors(Memento of the Originals of 1 May 2012 in the Internet Archive) Info:The archive linkwas inserted automatically and not yet checked. Please check original and archive link according to instructions and then remove this note. Website of the Association of Turkish Kebab Producers in Europe
- “Rotten meat”: kebab scandal spreads, Die Welt, May 16, 2008
- Hilmar Poganatz: “The snack millionaire”, Tagesspiegel, 11 March 2007
- Stefan Jacobs, Christoph Stollowsky: Gammelfleisch: Dönerskandal sich ausweitet sich Tagesspiegel, 29 August 2007
- Suzan Gülfirat Kebab traders go on the barricades, tagesspiegel.de, September 2, 2007
- Suzan Gülfirat A blow to the kebab industry, tagesspiegel.de, December 27, 2006
- “Kebab producer to pay 40,000 euro fine”(Memento of the Originals of 22 June 2008 in the Internet Archive) Info:The archive linkwas inserted automatically and not yet checked. Please check original and archive link according to instructions and then remove this note. , Tagesspiegel, 16 May 2008
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||german-Turkish kebab producer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||3. August 1960|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Yozgat, Turkey|