Publick, Upper Sorbian Publik, is a former village in Upper Lusatia, 11 km southeast of Weißwasser. Situated on the old White Schöps between Hammerstadt (part of Rietschen) and Schadendorf (part of Boxberg/O.L.), the village was devastated in 1986 due to lignite mining by the Reichwalde open pit mine.
Publick was situated in the Sorbian settlement area between Weißwasser in the north, Rietschen in the east, Niesky in the south and Boxberg/O.L. in the west. Neighboring villages were Mocholz in the north, Zweibrücken and Altliebel in the east, Neuliebel in the southeast, Kringelsdorf in the south, Reichwalde in the southwest and Wunscha in the west.
The place, which always belonged to the Muskau demesne, bore various names. Around 1400 it was recorded under the name Publicsdorff, in 1505 and 1581 under Puplick, in 1572 under Pupplingk, in 1603 under Pupligk, in 1625 under Bublick and since 1791 under Publick.
On one map (before 1724) it appears under Bublie, on another (before 1727) as Public, in 1745 (map opposite) as Publicke and at about the same time (1746) already as Publick and after 1757 again as Public and 1759 (adjacent map) as Pablick.
Publick in the Third Reich
In 1936 Publick, like many other places in the Sorbian settlement area, received a new German name in the course of the Germanization of Sorbian place names. From 22 December 1936 to the year 1947 the place carried the name Wildfelde. After that the previous designation was reversed.
After the First Silesian War, the village of Publick became part of the Kingdom of Prussia in 1742. On 1 April 1938, the neighbouring village of Wunscha was incorporated into Publick. In 1945 Wunscha became independent again and Publick was incorporated into Wunscha. The village was part of the district Weißwasser-Görlitz and after its renaming it was part of the district Niesky from 16 January 1947. On 25 July 1952 the Wunscha community with the Publick district was assigned to the newly formed Weißwasser district in the Cottbus district. On 1 January 1986, the Publick district was incorporated into the municipality of Viereichen, which in turn was merged with the previously independent municipalities of Daubitz, Rietschen and Teicha to form the municipality of Rietschen on 15 March 1992. After the district reform in Saxony on August 1, 1994, Rietschen and thus also the former village of Publick were added to the Lower Silesian Upper Lusatian district. Since the Saxon district reform of 1 August 2008, the former village of Publick belongs to the district of Görlitz.
|1603||1 obsessed man
|1939||245 (incl. desirescha)|
According to the statistics of the Lusatian Sorbs by Arnošt Muka, in 1884/85 all 60 inhabitants were Sorbs.
- List of abandoned sites in the Lusatian coalfield
- Frank Förster: Verschwundene Dörfer im Lausitzer Braunkohlenrevier. 3., edited and expanded edition, Domowina-Verlag, Bautzen 2014, pp. 220-221.
- Christoph. Weigelium: Lusatia Superior, Deutsche Fotothek
- Johann Georg Schreiber: Upper Lausitz, Deutsche Fotothek
- von Homaennische Erben: Geographical Survey of the Budissinian County in the Margraviate of Upper Lusatia…, Deutsche Fotothek
- Tobias Conrad Lotter: Marchionatus Lusatiae Superioris…, Deutsche Fotothek
- Michael Rademacher:German administrative history from the unification of the German Reich in 1871 to reunification in 1990. rothenburg.html.online dissertation material, Osnabrück 2006).
- Publick, Wildfelde, Public on Genealogy.net
- Wildfelde Labour Education Camp, Directory of the Foundation “Remembrance, Responsibility, Future” (EVZ) on Nazi Detention Sites 1933-1945, Federal Archives, 2010
- Website Reinhard Tenhumberg
- Wunscha in the digital historical gazetteer of Saxony
- Publick in the database of the association for computer genealogy.Retrieved 5 May 2017.
- Ernst Tschernik: The Development of the Sorbian Population. Akademie-Verlag, Berlin 1954, p. 120.
- Publick in the digital historical gazetteer of Saxony