Philip Eugene Aaholm (born April 3, 1937 in Sheboygan, Wisconsin, United States) is an American clarinetist and music educator. He is professor emeritus of the College of Music at the University of Colorado Boulder.
Philip Eugene Aaholm’s father Gustave Aaholm lived in Sheboygan. Philip Aaholm attended North High School thereand was assistant director of the high school band for three years, concertmaster for two years, and its president in his senior year. He also organized the North High Swing Band, which performed at a music festival in Madison in 1954. He played in the Sheboygan’s Wuerl Band and represented North High at Badgers Boy State in 1954. In 1955 to 1956, he studied clarinet at the U.S. Navy School of Music with Harold Wright (1926-1993). He then studied at the University of Wisconsin-Madison Glenn Bowen and Russell Dagon. There he earned a Bachelor of Music degree in 1964 and a Master of Music degree in 1968. From 1966 to 1970, he taught at Lamar University in Beaumont, Texas. Doctor of Music became at the University of Arizona in 1972 under Samuel Fain. From 1972 to 1999 he was Professor of Clarinet in the School of Music at the University of Colorado Boulder. He was vice president of the International Clarinet Associationfrom 1976 to 1978.
Philip Aaholm has performed as a soloist, been a chamber musician in various ensembles, and performed at various festivals such as the Oklahoma Clarinet Symposium and the Colorado Music Festival. He was a co-founder and member of the Colorado Wind Quintet, which consisted of faculty from the University of Colorado Boulder. Flutist Karen Yonovitz, oboist Nobuo Kitagawa, oboist Susan Logan, hornist David Pinkow, and bassoonist Robert Olson were intermittent ensemble members. With pianist Brenda Ishikawa and bassoonist Yoshijuki Ishikawa, he formed the ensemble The Boulder Winds.
- Michael Dean, concert clarinetist, associate professor of clarinet and saxophones at Southeast Missouri State University in Cape Girardeau, and president of the National Association of College Wind and Percussion Instructors (NACWPI)
- Brian Ebert, concert clarinetist, composer and lecturer at Regis University
- John Heins, composer and pianist
- Joshua R. Mietz, concert clarinetist, arranger, and instructor at Casper College in Casper
- Timothy Phillips: Associate Professor of Clarinet at Troy University
- Tracey Lynn Paddock: Aaholm, Philip Eugene. In: Florida State University Libraries (ed.): A Biographical Dictionary of Twentieth – Century American Clarinetists. Tallahassee 2011, p. 8 (English)
- Do you remember ? In: The Sheboygan Press. Sheboygan 19 November 1980, p. 22( English, newspapers.com).
- Tracey Lynn Paddock: Aaholm, Philip Eugene. In: Florida State University Libraries (ed.): A Biographical Dictionary of Twentieth-Century American Clarinetists. Tallahassee 2011, p. 8 ( English, fsu .edu [ PDF]).
- Alan E. Stanek:The History Of The International Clarinet Association.In: http://clarinet.org/. International Clarinet Association, 2013, accessed 16 February 2018 (English).
- 20 Oct 1985, 61 – The Paducah Sun at Newspapers.com. In: Newspapers.com.(newspapers.com [accessed 4 Aug 2018]).
- Recitals. In: The Daily Chronicle. De Kalb, Illinois 14 April 1984, p. 8( English, newspapers.com).
- 27 Oct 1994, Page 7 – The Daily Tribune at Newspapers.com. In: Newspapers.com.(newspapers.com [accessed 4 Aug 2018]).
- ClarinetMike at Texas Clarinet Colloquium 2017!In: https://clarinetmike.wordpress.com/. 13 December 2016, accessed 16 February 2018 (English).
- School of Music, Theatre & Dance Programs. University of Michigan School of Music, 2001(google.com [accessed 17 May 2019]).
- Biography.In: https://www.joshuarmietz.com/. Joshua R. Mietz, 2019, accessed June 21, 2020 (English).
- Timothy Phillips.In: https://www.buffet-crampon.com/. Retrieved July 18, 2019 (English).
- VIP Timothy Phillips.In: http://www.wka-clarinet.org/. World Clarinet Alliance, April 20, 2019, accessed June 21, 2020 (English).
|ALTERNATE NAMES||Aaholm, Philip Eugene (full name)|
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||US-American clarinettist and music teacher|
|DATE OF BIRTH||3. April 1937|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Sheboygan, Wisconsin, United States|