Paul Schwandt was the son of Ludwigslust merchant Paul Wilhelm Johann Schwandt and his wife Lisette Henriette Christiane “Betty” née Müller. He earned German Pilot’s License No. 85 at Hans Grade’s flying school on May 20, 1911, and won several prizes during a Johannisthal flying week two weeks after earning his pilot’s license. With the help of his father he acquired his own aircraft with a wingspan of 8.5 metres and a 24 hp engine and opened his own flying school with it. He had to abandon this enterprise due to lack of funds. In 1911 he opened the Schulzendorf airfield with aerobatic flights. Until the outbreak of the First World War he earned his money with record flights. During the war Schwandt worked as a fly-in pilot and flight instructor. Then he became training manager and chief pilot of the AEG in Nieder Neuendorf and trained here for the field pilot examination. On July 30, 1919, he achieved an unofficial altitude world record of 6100 meters on a converted bomber AEG G V with eight passengers. In May 1920, the Deutsche Luft-Reederei opened an air route to West and East Prussia as a connection between Stolp and Elbing, bypassing the Polish corridor. The area over the Baltic Sea was included for the bypass. In May 1920, Schwandt flew polling agents to Elbing. On the return flight to Stolp, his plane was presumably shot down by Polish military forces.
- Bruno Lange: The Book of German Aeronautical Engineering. Volume 1 Verlag D. Hoffmann, 1970.
- Disappeared – Forgotten – Preserved. Monuments and heritage of the history of technology in Mecklenburg and Western Pomerania. 1. Edition, Verlag Redieck & Schade GmbH, Rostock 1997, pp. 182-183, ISBN 3-929544-35-0
- Verein Technisches Landesmuseum Mecklenburg-Vorpommern c/o IHK zu Schwerin (Publication by Redieck & Schade)
- Flugzeugforum – Geschichte der Fliegerei – WK I & WK II – Paul Schwandt was one of the first aviators of Mecklenburg. Shot down in 1920.
- Birth certificate no. 6/1887, main birth register (no. 120 from 1883 to no. 72 from 1887), Ludwigslust registry office, Ludwigslust municipal archives
- Baptismal entry no. 17 of 16 February 1887, transcript of Ludwigslust church register 1 Advent 1886-1887, Landeshauptarchiv Schwerin
- Frank-Max Polzin:Schulzendorf airfield.In:www.postmaxe.de. Retrieved 19 September 2020.
|ALTERNATE NAMES||Schwandt, Paul Heinrich Johann Albano (full name)|
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||german pilot|
|DATE OF BIRTH||10. January 1887|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Ludwigslust|