Article

Read

Parish church Mörschwang

from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kath. parish church hl. Margarethe in Mörschwang

The parish church of Mörschwang is located in the municipality of Mörschwang in Upper Austria. The Roman Catholic parish church of St. Margaret belongs to the deanery of Altheim in the diocese of Linz. The church and the cemetery are listed buildings.

History

A church was mentioned in documents around 1130. A church was consecrated in 1523.

Architecture

The Gothic church building has simple half-recessed buttresses on the nave and richly stepped buttresses on the chancel. The single-nave, three-bay nave is adjoined by a three-bay choir of equal width with a five-part apse. The vaults rest on semicircular services and show six-part diamond stars everywhere. The two-storey wooden west gallery dates from 1765 and has paintings of scenes from the legend of Margaret on the parapet. The sacristy doorway is braced in late Gothic style. The massive tower in the southern choir corner carries a pointed helmet.

The cemetery wall has a wedge stone coping.

Equipment

The high altar from 1702 bears two late Gothic Lower Bavarian statues of Barbara and Catherine from around 1510. The rococo tabernacle was created by Johann Ferdinand Schwanthaler. The altarpiece by Ignaz Jäger from Wildenau (1823) was restored in 1919. The side altars from around 1670 are probably by Thomas Schwanthaler and were restored in 1922/1923. A former high altarpiece was created by Johann Paul Vogl (1702). The pulpit is classicistic from the end of the 18th century. The baroque crucifix in the choir is from the middle of the 18th century. There is a grave slab to Johanna daughter of Hartneitz von Losenstein from the second quarter of the 14th century with an incised full figure of the deceased.

A bell was cast in 1575.

Literature

  • Mörschwang, parish church of St. Margaret. P. 204. in: The Art Monuments of Austria. Dehio Upper Austria. By Erwin Hainisch, revised by Kurt Woisetschläger, prefaces to the 3rd edition (1958) and 4th edition (1960) by Walter Frodl, sixth edition, Anton Schroll & Co. publishing house, Vienna 1977.

Web links

Commons: Saint Margaret Church (Mörschwang)– Collection of pictures, videos and audio files

Coordinates 48° 18′ 11.6″ N, 13° 21′ 54.7″ E