Mühlheim am Inn
Mühlheim am Inn
|Coat of arms||Austria map|
|Political District:||Ried im Innkreis|
|Residents:||660 (1 Jan 2020)|
|Population Density:||60 inhabitants per km²|
|Community Code:||4 12 17|
|Church street 2/1
4961 Mühlheim on the Inn
|Mayor:||Franz Schöberl (SPÖ)|
|Municipal Council: (election year: 2015)
|Location of Mühlheim am Inn in the district of Ried im Innkreis|
|Source: Municipal data from Statistics Austria|
Mühlheim am Inn is a municipality in Upper Austria in the district of Ried im Innkreis in the Innviertel region with 660 inhabitants (as of 1 January 2020). The municipality is located in the judicial district of Ried im Innkreis.
Mühlheim am Inn is situated at an altitude of 343 m in the Innviertel. The extension from north to south is 3.7 km, from west to east 4.9 km. The total area is 10.9 km². 15.7 % of the area is forested, 64.8 % of the area is used for agriculture.
The municipal area includes the following localities (in parentheses, number of inhabitants as of 1 January 2020):
- Gimpling (73)
- Mühlheim am Inn (496)
- Niederach (33)
- Stötting (58)
|Mining (BR)||Kirchdorf am Inn|
|Weng im Innkreis (BR)||Altheim (BR)||Geinberg|
The history of the village is closely linked to the history of Mühlheim Castle. This was originally a moated castle and was already mentioned in 1120 in a document of the monastery of St. Nikola in Passau. It was the ancestral seat of the Mulham family, the first of whom is named as Macelinus de Mulham. In 1383 the castle came into the possession of Wolfgang Trachselhamer. In this year there was already a church. The priest Janns von Freistatt describes it as the “Church of Mühlheim zu Unserer Lieben Frau”
The castle came to the Taimer (Thuemair) family in 1417. They were in the service of the Passau bishops and were able to acquire the lower jurisdiction in 1556. During this time the Marienkirche was also rebuilt in late Gothic style.
After several changes of ownership, Friedrich von Rhelling inherited the dilapidated castle in 1624. He had it demolished in 1636 and built a castle in its place. His widow sold the castle and Hofmark to Carl Franz Anton Graf von Safré in 1693. Various families followed as owners until the building burned down in 1850. The castle was rebuilt in 1898/99 from the usable parts of the old building, renovated in 1982 and is now privately owned.
In 1991 the parish had a population of 669 according to the census, then 649 in 2001. The decrease occurred despite a positive birth balance, as out-migration was stronger. From 2001 to 2011, the birth balance and migration balance were negative, so that the population fell to 629 people.
Culture and sights
- Mühlheim Castle
- The parish church of Mühlheim am Inn is a Gothic sacred building from around 1500 with a west tower, a single-nave, three-bay nave and a recessed, lower choir. In the second quarter of the 18th century, the ribs were removed from both Gothic vaults (nave, choir) and the vaulting was decorated with frescoes and stucco. The high altar (probably from the beginning of the 19th century), the two side altars (around 1670/80) and the pulpit (around 1720) have baroque forms.
Economy and infrastructure
In 2010, there were 25 farms in Mühlheim. Of these, twelve were run on a full-time basis and thirteen on a part-time basis. The full-time farmers cultivated more than three quarters of the land. There were 38 employed persons in the production sector, 22 in manufacturing, twelve in construction and four in mining. The main employers for the 47 employed in the services sector were social and public services, professional activities and trade.
Of the 330 employed people who lived in Mühlheim in 2011, 56 worked in the community, and more than eighty percent commuted out.
For the municipal council 13 mandataries are elected.
Mayors since 1895 were:
- 1895-1905 Johann Eiblmayr
- 1905-1907 Jakob Gradinger
- 1907-1910 Ferdinand Grahamer
- 1910-1913 Jakob Gradinger
- 1913-1919 Christian Sieglhuber
- 1919-1924 Franz Katzlberger
- 1924-1938 Michael Stranzinger
- 1938-1945 (Mühlheim was near Geinberg)
- 1945-1946 Josef Stranzinger
- 1946-1949 Matthias Paischer
- 1949-1961 Heinrich Grahamer
- 1961-1968 Johann Strasser
- 1968-1973 Rudolf Hatheier
- 1973-1979 Georg Ranftl
- 1979-1985 Johann Strasser
- 1985-1996 Georg Ranftl
- 1996-2015 Johann Strasser
- since 2015 Franz Schöberl
Coat of arms
Official description of the municipal coat of arms: under a golden shield head, in it three blue, six-pointed stars, in blue a silver ship mill with a red mill wheel. The municipal colours are red-white-blue.
The coat of arms was granted in 1974. The head with the three stars is taken from the coat of arms of the Thuemair, who played an important role in the Middle Ages. The ship mill stands for the location at the Inn and reminds of the old trade.
- Ferdinand Grahamer (1857-1936), farmer and politician
– Collection of pictures, videos and audio files
- Further information about the municipality Mühlheim on the Inn on the Geo-Infosystem of the province of Upper Austria.
- Federal State of Upper Austria – Geographical data of the municipality of Mühlheim am Inn.
- Statistics Austria: Population on 1.1.2020 by localities (territorial status 1.1.2020),(CSV)
- Wehrbauten in Oberösterreich, Mühlheim.Retrieved 11 March 2021.
- General information, parish.Gemeinde Mühlheim, retrieved 11 March 2021 (Austrian German).
- Franz Strasser:Short info sheet about the parish church and parish history.(PDF) Retrieved March 11, 2021.
- Statistik Austria, A look at the municipality of Mühlheim am Inn, Population development.Retrieved on April 9, 2019.
- A view of the municipality of Mühlheim am Inn, agricultural and forestry enterprises.(PDF) Statistik Austria, retrieved 11 March 2021.
- A view of the municipality of Mühlheim am Inn, employed persons at the place of work.(PDF) Statistik Austria, retrieved 11 March 2021.
- A view of the community of Mühlheim am Inn, commuters.(PDF) Statistik Austria, retrieved 11 March 2021.
- Municipal election result 2015 Upper Austria.(XLS) Land Oberösterreich, retrieved 11 March 2021.
- Municipal election result 2009 Upper Austria.(XLS) Land Oberösterreich, retrieved 11 March 2021.
- Municipal election result 2003 Upper Austria.(XLS) Land Oberösterreich, retrieved 11 March 2021.
- Municipal election result 1997 Upper Austria.(XLS) Land Oberösterreich, retrieved 11 March 2021.
- Communities, Mühlheim am Inn.Land Oberösterreich, retrieved 11 March 2021.
- Land of Upper Austria, history and geography, coat of arms.Retrieved April 9, 2019.
- Municipal coat of arms.Gemeinde Mühlheim am Inn, retrieved 11 March 2021 (Austrian German).