MTD Inc. (originally Modern Tool and Die Company), headquartered in Cleveland, Ohio, USA, is a family-owned designer, manufacturer and distributor of motorized garden tools.
The company was founded in Cleveland in 1932 by engineers Theo Moll, Emil Jochum and Erwin Gerhard, who had emigrated from Germany, as a supplier of tools and cast semi-finished products, later also steel stampings, for local industry (toy manufacturers). Later, own products were manufactured, initially tricycles and the like, since the beginning of the 1950s wheelbarrows, later also other garden tools, in 1958 the first hand lawn mower.
In addition to petrol and electric lawn mowers, ride-on mowers, lawn tractors, bar mowers, scarifiers, snow blowers, leaf vacuums, motor hoes, lawn trimmers, lawn edge trimmers, shredders, log splitters, chain saws, quad bikes and more are manufactured at numerous production sites in the USA, Canada and Europe.
In 1970, the lawn mower division of the Eislingen-based company Ventzki was taken over, resulting in MTD Motorgeräte GmbH, which is now responsible for servicing the specialist trade.
In 1996, MTD took over the German company Gutbrod, manufacturer of motorised lawn mowers and small tractors, in Plochingen am Neckar. This resulted in today’s European headquarters MTD Products AG with headquarters in Saarbrücken-Bübingen and sales offices and subsidiaries in France, Austria, Hungary, Sweden, Denmark, Bulgaria, Russia, Switzerland, the Benelux countries and Poland. The two European production sites are located in Saarbrücken-Bübingen and Nemesvámos (Hungary).
Since 2006, lawn care equipment has also been produced under the Massey Ferguson licensed brand for the European market, and since 2007, lawn tractors in the lower price segment for Toro.
Wolf-Garten has been taken over since September 2009.
In May 2017, F. Robotics Acquisitions Ltd was acquired.
- Bolens (founded in 1850, acquired in 2001)
- Cub Cadet (bought by International Harvester in 1981)
- Gardenway (the brand was acquired in 2001 after the bankruptcy of Garden Way Inc., together with its other brands Troy-Bilt and Bolens)
- Troy-Bilt (acquired 2001)
- Ventzki Handling Systems based in Eislingen; only lawn mower division taken over in 1970
- White Outdoor (adopted 1981)
- Yard Machines
- Yard-Man (1975 adopted)
- Wolf-Garten (taken over as of September 2009)
- Robomow (2017 adopted)
- See Archived copy(Memento of Originals october 10, 2011 on the Internet Archive) Info:The archive linkwas automatically inserted and not yet checked. Please check original and archive link according to instructions, then remove this notice. , as of 17 March 2012
- WOLF Garden: details. 2.March 2017 (wolf-garten.com [accessed 13 June 2017]).