Mount Pleasant Redoubt
Mount Pleasant Redoubt is a former fortification near Plymouth in the county of Devon in the United Kingdom. The fortification was built in 1780 as a redoubt on a 70 m high hill east of the Hamaoze to protect the Devonport naval base.
The square redoubt was originally built as an earthwork to repel an attack from land from the Rame peninsula opposite Devonport. The square enclosure was 42m long and wide, with access from the south side via a drawbridge. The earth ramparts were reinforced with brick walls and were surrounded by a moat. The guns faced north and east, and at the time of its construction the redoubt was equipped with 8 3-pounders, 8 12-pounders and 13 18-pounders. In the centre of the complex was a two-storey blockhouse, from which a tunnel led to the powder magazine in the south-west corner of the fortification.
By the early 19th century, redoubts were already considered militarily obsolete. In 1855 the blockhouse burned down, and with the extension of the fort belt around Plymouth from 1860 onwards, the site had become redundant. Already during the First World War an anti-aircraft gun was installed on the hill, and also during the Second World War the former fortification served as an anti-aircraft position and location of a barrage balloon.
Today the restored site is set in the middle of Blockhouse Park, a small park in the Stoke district. The site, which is protected as a Scheduled Monument, is open to the public, and from the former redoubt there are extensive views over Plymouth and the Hamaoze.
- Plymouth City Council: Blockhouse Park.Retrieved 26 March 2013.