|VD is the abbreviation for the canton of Vaud in Switzerland and is used to avoid confusion with other entries of the name Mexf.|
|Height Range:||464-586 m a.s.l.|
|Residents:||725 ( 31 December 2018)|
|Population density:||256 inhabitants per km²|
|Location of the municipality|
Mex is a political commune in the Gros-de-Vaud district of the canton of Vaud in Switzerland.
Mex lies atsea level. 8 km northwest of the cantonal capital Lausanne (as the crow flies). The village extends on the high plateau in the extreme south of the Gros de Vaud, east of the valley of the Venoge, in the Vaud Plateau.
The area of the 2.9 km² commune covers a section of the Gros de Vaud, the granary of the canton of Vaud. The commune extends from the terrace of Mex eastwards into the wooded area of Bois Bahud on both sides of the valley of the Goille, a left tributary of the Venoge. Above Les Vaux,highest point of Mex is reached at above sea level. The eastern border runs along the upper Chamberonne. In 1997, 16% of the commune’s surface area was occupied by settlements, 30% by woods and copses and 54% by agriculture.
Mex includes the new settlement of Les Esserts.s.l. heights between the valleys of Goille and Chamberonne, as well as a few isolated farms. The neighbouring municipalities of Mex are Vufflens-la-Ville to the west, Sullens to the north, Crissier to the east and Villars-Sainte-Croix to the south.
With 725 inhabitants (as of 31 December 2018), Mex is one of the smaller communes in the canton of Vaud. Of the inhabitants, 87.9% are French-speaking, 5.5% German-speaking and 2.0% Italian-speaking (as of 2000). The population of Mex in 1900 was 198 inhabitants. Since about 1960 (199 inhabitants), a rapid population increase has been observed with a doubling of the population within 30 years.
Until the second half of the 20th century, Mex was a village dominated by agriculture. Today, farming and fruit-growing are only of secondary importance in the occupational structure of the population. Agriculture has specialised in vegetable crops, and there is also a landscape gardening business. There used to be a brickyard in Les Vaux. An industrial zone was created at the beginning of the 1970s and several companies have settled here. The most important company is Bobst SA (mechanical and plant engineering). In recent decades, the village has also developed into a residential community. Many employees therefore commute to work, mainly in the greater Lausanne area.
The municipality has good transport links. It lies on the main road 9 from Lausanne to Vallorbe. Since 1981, the A1 motorway (Lausanne-Yverdon) has crossed the commune, the nearest junctions being Lausanne-Crissier to the south and Cossonay to the north. The village is connected to the public transport network by bus route 32 (Renens-Mex) of the Transports publics de la région Lausannoise.
The first documentary mention of the village was in the 12th century under the name Mais. In 1228 the name Maiz appeared and in 1453 May. The place name probably goes back to the personal name Macius or Masius. During the Middle Ages, Mex was part of the lordship of Cossonay. Under the de Charrière family, the various fiefs on the territory were united and an independent lordship of Mex was created.
After 1476, Mex became an exclave of the bailiwick of Orbe-Echallens, which was under the common rule of Bern and Fribourg. After the collapse of the Ancien Régime, the village belonged to the Canton of Léman from 1798 to 1803 during the Helvetic period, which was subsequently absorbed into the Canton of Vaud with the enactment of the Mediation Constitution. In 1798 it was assigned to the district of Cossonay.
Places of interest
The church of Sainte-Marie-Madeleine dates back to 1582. However, it has preserved only a few components from this period. Several major restorations and redesigns, notably that of 1790, led to its current appearance; the bell tower dates from 1855.
Mex has two castles. The lower castle (Château d’en bas) already existed in the Middle Ages under the lords of Cossonay. It was rebuilt and enlarged in 1656, has three superimposed galleries on the main south-facing façade and is flanked by two towers. The Upper Castle (Château d’en haut), a stately manor house with two side wings, dates from the 18th century.
– Collection of images, videos and audio files
- Official website of the commune of Mex (french)
- François Béboux:Mex (VD). In: Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
- Aerial photographs
- The castles of Mex (french)
- Permanent and non-permanent resident population by year, canton, district, commune, population type and sex (permanent resident population).In: bfs.admin.ch. Swiss Federal Statistical Office (SFSO), August 31, 2019, accessed December 22, 2019.