Max Niemeyer Publishing House
Max Niemeyer Verlag is a German publisher of linguistic and literary literature, formerly based in Tübingen. Its philological publishing program focuses on German and Romance studies, and it also publishes historical-critical editions as well as in the fields of media and communication studies, rhetoric, Judaica, and cultural and social history. Since 2006, the publishing house has been part of the Berlin-based academic publisher De Gruyter. The Niemeyer program has been fully integrated into the program structure of De Gruyter.
Max Niemeyer Verlag was founded in Halle (Saale) in 1870 by the bookseller Maximilian David Niemeyer, a son of Hermann Agathon Niemeyer. Until the 1930s, the publishing house grew rapidly and was broadly positioned, including literature in the fields of law, mathematics and medicine. Important authors of the time were Edmund Husserl and Martin Heidegger.
In the 1960s, the publishing house moved to Tübingen. The publishing programme, which also included the oldest English-language journal Anglia, was restricted to linguistics and literary studies. In addition, philosophical works by Husserl, Heidegger, Roman Ingarden and others, as well as the publications of the German Historical Institute in Rome remained in the program.
In 2005, K. G. Saur Verlag took over Max Niemeyer Verlag, and in 2006 De Gruyter bought K. G. Saur Verlag and with it Max Niemeyer Verlag.
The VEB Max Niemeyer Verlag Halle was incorporated into the VEB Bibliographisches Institut in Leipzig in 1964. Archive material of the Max Niemeyer Verlag also from the years before nationalisation in the GDR can be found in fonds 21094 of the Bibliographisches Institut Leipzig in the Sächsisches Staatsarchiv, Staatsarchiv Leipzig.