Maria Reining (* 7 August 1903 in Vienna, Austria-Hungary; † 11 March 1991 in Deggendorf) was an Austrian opera singer (soprano).
Reining first worked as a clerk in a Viennese bank. It was not until she was 28 that she began her singing career at the Vienna State Opera in 1931, mainly in soubrette roles. Two years later she moved to Darmstadt and then to the Munich State Opera, where she made her debut under Hans Knappertsbusch as Elsa in Lohengrin by Richard Wagner. In 1937 she followed Knappertsbusch to the Vienna State Opera, where she made her debut a second time in the role of Elsa.
Maria Reining was a member of the Vienna State Opera from 1931 to 1933 and from 1937 to 1957. From 1937 to 1941 she sang with great success at the Salzburg Festival, among others under Arturo Toscanini and in 1938 in Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg under Wilhelm Furtwängler.
She sang mainly roles by Mozart, Wagner and Richard Strauss. Guest appearances took her to the leading European opera houses. Among others, she sang at Covent Garden Opera in London and at La Scala in Milan.
Maria Reining died in 1991 in Deggendorf, Lower Bavaria, and was buried in an honorary grave in the Dornbacher cemetery in Vienna (group 35, number 132)
There are several complete opera recordings with Reining, among others. arabella (Salzburg 1947 under Böhm), Daphne (Vienna 1944, Böhm), Ariadne (Vienna 1944, Böhm), Leonora (Troubadour) (Reichssenderorchester Stuttgart 1936, Zimmermann), Eva (Vienna 1937, Toscanini) as well as Marschallin (Salzburg 1949, Szell; Salzburg 1953, Krauss, Vienna 1954 (Studio), Kleiber; Vienna 1955, Knappertsbusch).
Sound documents (selection)
- Richard Strauss: Arabella, 1947 Salzburg Festival – Karl Böhm
Georg Hann (Count Waldner); Rosette Anday (Adelaide); Maria Reining (Arabella); Lisa della Casa (Zdenka); Hans Hotter (Mandryka); Horst Taubmann (Matteo); Julius Patzak (Count Elemer); Josef Witt (Count Dominik); Alfred Poell (Count Lamoral); Herma Handl (Die Fiakermilli)
Melodram 101 (3 LP); Discocorp RR 525 (3 LP) / DG 445343-2 (3 CD); Melodram 37077 (3 CD)
- Richard Strauss: Der Rosenkavalier, 1954 Decca 25025-D, Vienna Philharmonic (conductor: Erich Kleiber) with Maria Reining (Field Marshal), Sena Jurinac (Octavian), Hilde Güden (Sophie), Ludwig Weber (Ochs) and others.
- Richard Wagner: Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg, recording of the Salzburg Festival 1937, with Hans Hermann Nissen, Henk Noort, Hermann Wiedemann, Richard Sallaba, Maria Reining, Kerstin Thorborg, Choir of the Vienna State Opera, Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra under Arturo Toscanini
- 1964: Mozart Medal by the Mozart Community Vienna
- Maria Reining at Discogs
- Entry for Maria Reining in the Austria-Forum (in the AEIOU Austria encyclopedia)
- Works by and about Maria Reining in the catalogue of the German National Library
- Inscription Deutschordenshof, Singerstraße: Maria Reining 1964 (retrieved 10 June 2014)
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||Austrian opera singer (soprano)|
|DATE OF BIRTH||7. August 1903|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Vienna|
|STERBEDATUM||11. March 1991|