|Birthday||23. July 1990 (30 years)|
|Discipline||Giant slalom, slalom|
|Career End||12. April 2018|
|Placements in the Alpine Ski World Cup|
Manuel Pleisch (* 23 July 1990 in Schiers) is a former Swiss ski racer. He specialized in the disciplines giant slalom and slalom.
Pleisch comes from Prättigau in the canton of Graubünden. From December 2005 he took part in FIS races. In February 2007, he competed at the European Youth Olympic Festival in Jaca and narrowly missed out on a medal, finishing fourth in the giant slalom. From January 2008 he competed in the European Cup. At the 2010 World Junior Championships he again finished fourth in the combined event. After finishing in the points in the European Cup for the first time at the end of November 2010, he made his debut in the World Cup on 11 December 2010, but was eliminated in the first round of the giant slalom in Val-d’Isère. He was also unsuccessful in his four other World Cup appearances in the 2010/11 winter.
In January 2011, Pleisch won an FIS race for the first time. On 19 December 2012 he stood on the podium for the first time in a European Cup race. He won his first World Cup points on 24 February 2013 with 23rd place in the Garmisch-Partenkirchen giant slalom. With two further podium finishes he secured victory in the European Cup Giant Slalom discipline ranking. At the end of the 2012/13 season, he won the gold medal at the Military World Championships in La Clusaz. On 8 December 2013, he finished in the top 20 in a World Cup race for the first time in the Beaver Creek Giant Slalom, finishing in 18th place.
On 14 December 2013 at the giant slalom in Val-d’Isère, Pleisch crashed so badly that he suffered a fracture of the tibial plateau, forcing him to end his season prematurely. In the first race of the 2014/15 season, the giant slalom in Sölden, he achieved his best result in the World Cup with 16th place; in the second run he managed the fastest time of the day. Pleisch was unable to improve further in the 2016/17 World Cup winter, and he hardly ever finished in the top ten in the European Cup either. After not making a single World Cup appearance in the 2017/18 season, he announced his retirement from top-level sport in April 2018.
- 3 placements among the best 20
World Cup rankings
- Season 2012/13: 1st giant slalom ranking, 10th overall ranking
- 4 podium places
- 3 victories in FIS races
- Military World Championship 2013 in La Clusaz: 1st Giant Slalom, 4th Slalom
- European Youth Olympic Festival 2007 in Jaca: 4th Giant Slalom
- Website of Manuel Pleisch
- Manuel Pleisch in the database of the International Ski Federation (english)
- Manuel Pleisch in the database of Ski-DB (english)
World Junior Championships
- Garmisch-Partenkirchen 2009: 11th giant slalom, 21st downhill, 31st super-G
- Mont Blanc 2010: 4th combined, 18th slalom, 23rd downhill, 24th giant slalom, 26th super-G
- Manuel Pleisch took World Cup title – Berthod bronze, Skionline.ch of 27 March 2013
- Manuel Pleisch successfully operated(Memento of the Originals march 24, 2014 on the Internet Archive) Info:The archive linkwas automatically inserted and not yet checked. Please check original and archive link according to instructions and then remove this note. , Swiss-ski.ch as at 19 December 2013
- Who is this Pleisch anyway?, Blick.ch from 28 October 2014
- Hirscher in his own league – Swiss convince, SRF.ch from 26 October 2016, retrieved on 9 September 2016
- Manuel Pleisch ends skiing career.skiweltcup.tv, 12 April 2018, retrieved 20 April 2018.
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||Swiss ski racer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||23. July 1990|