Mandach Castle or Schlössli Mandach was a fortified house near Bad Zurzach in the Swiss canton of Aargau on the High Rhine near the Zurzach-Rheinheim bridge over the Rhine.
It is assumed that around 1320 the nobles of Mandach, as ministerials of the bishops of Constance, built a permanent house here. Bishop Eberhard had the Rhine bridge rebuilt here after the purchase of Zurzach, but it probably did not exist for a hundred years. The owners then changed several times. The Schaffhausen family of Abbot David von Winkelsheim of St. Georgen also held the fief. Later, the canons’ monastery of Zurzach followed as owner. From 1671 to 1673, canon Johann Jakob Äckerlin had the house renovated and the surrounding area rounded off. The property can be seen on a drawing by Franz Heinrich Baldinger from 1829. After Äckerlin’s death, the Schlössli came to the monastery of St. Trudpert. Abbot Roman Edel died here in exile in 1694 and was buried in the Verena Minster. In 1744, during the siege of Freiburg by Louis XV, the abbots of the monasteries of St. Trudpert and Schwarzach stayed here. In 1749 merchants from Winterthur acquired the property, in 1771 it went to the Tschudi von Gräpplang family. In 1799 the button maker Johannes Gross zum Herz in Zurzach acquired the Schlössli, in 1812 he passed it on to Johannes Höhn from Horgen. After that, various other owners followed. In 1871 it was the quarters of soldiers of the Bourbaki army. In 1906 it fell victim to the construction of the Rhine Valley Railway, until then it served as a modest but popular inn with a sometimes dubious reputation. When the Rhine bridge did not yet exist, the landing stage of the Rhine ferry Rheinheim-Zurzach, which was particularly important for the Zurzach fair, was located here for centuries. Today, the tunnelled bypass road runs alongside the Rhine Valley railway. The ruins of Mandach Castle still exist near Riedern am Wald. Junker Sebastian von Mandach acquired Oberstaad Castle in 1516.
- There are old images of Mandach Castle. An old photograph taken shortly before the demolition is in the Museum Höfli. Two preserved doors are in the Zurzach town hall.
- Albert and Hans Rudolf Sennhauser and Alfred Huber (eds.): Geschichte des Fleckens Zurzach. Hist. Vereinigung des Bez. Zurzach, Zurzach 2004, ISBN 3-9522575-2-4.
- Hans Rudolf Sennhauser: Geschichte des Fleckens Zurzach. S. 37 ff.