Lobethal is a locality in South Australia (South Australia) with a population of 2135. It is part of the capital Adelaide and is located about 33 km from the city centre in the administrative area Adelaide Hills Council.
The village was founded in 1841 by 18 Prussian Lutheran emigrant families in the Adelaide Hills, 17 km from Hahndorf. They had arrived in Adelaide harbour a few months earlier on the emigrant ship Skjold, coming from Hamburg, on 28 October 1841. Some of the emigrants founded Bethany in the Barossa Valley.
On May 4, 1842, Pastor Gotthard Daniel Fritzsche, the leader of the group, held an outdoor service. During the service he quoted from the Bible (II Chronicles, chapter 20, verse 26),
And on the fourth day they came together in the valley of praise: for there they praised the LORD.
That is why the newly founded settlement was given the name Lobethal.
Like Bethany, Lobethal was laid out as a hoofed village in typical Silesian fashion. The long main street was called Mill Road. Although the village has grown since its founding, some of the hoof divisions can still be seen today.
The first industrial enterprise worth mentioning was FW Kleinschmidt’s brewery, which, however, stopped its production after about 20 years and concentrated on hop growing. Hops then also became one of the most important economic goods in Lobethal.
An important enterprise was also the Onkaparinga Woollen Company, which until a few years ago produced textile products that were very well known throughout Australia. There was also a brickyard and a fruit drying factory.
In 1917 the place name was changed to Tweedvale by an Act of Parliament to protest against the role of Germany in the First World War. In 1935 the old name Lobethal was reinstated.
In the 1930s an attempt was made to establish a motorsport event, the Australian Grand Prix, but this soon faded in importance.
Some of the buildings around the church still exist today. Among them is one in which the first Lutheran theological seminary was established. The buildings are now used as archives and as a museum; the Bible from 1641, which once belonged to Pastor Fritzsche, is also on display there (Lutheran Church Complex).
A special tradition is The Lights of Lobethal, a Christmas festival of lights that attracts many visitors each year.
Another museum is in the old textile factory. There you can see an exhibition of clothing.
Sons and daughters of the village
- Julie Bishop (* 1956), politician (LP)
– Album with pictures
- History of the place (english)
- on the naming(Memento of 17 August 2016 in the Internet Archive)
- Lobethal at www.smh.com.au (English)
- Australian Bureau of Statistics:Lobethal(English) In: 2016 Census QuickStats. 27 June 2017. retrieved 8 April 2020.