Article

Read

List of monuments in Mittenwald

from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On this page, the architectural monuments of the Upper Bavarian market Mittenwald are compiled. This table is a partial list of the list of architectural monuments in Bavaria. It is based on the Bavarian list of monuments, which was first compiled on the basis of the Bavarian Monument Protection Act of 1 October 1973 and has since been maintained by the Bavarian State Office for the Preservation of Monuments. The following information does not replace the legally binding information of the monument protection authority.
[Note 1]

Coat of arms of Mittenwald

Ensembles

Violin making museum in Mittenwald

Ensemble Ballenhausgasse

E-1-80-123-1

Short, angular street north of the parish church in a secluded location. On the west and north side gabled houses, among them the frescoed house Ballenhausgasse 3 with the violin making museum, important for the representation of the former main occupation in the village. At the south end of the east row, an old, elongated farm building with eaves.

Ensemble Im Gries

E-1-80-123-2

Mittenwald, Im Gries 61/63

The ensemble comprises the village-like district on both sides of the Lainbach with gabled flat-gabled roof houses, some of which are still used for agricultural purposes. The overall complex, in which the closed north and west rows dominate, expands square-like in the southeast and at the north end, where the house Im Gries 48/52 with a small fresco, beautiful ornamental fret and “Vorbund” – a constructive-ornamental feature in Mittenwald reminiscent of the Tyrolean Inn valley – acts as a square wall. A closed row forms the north row with the houses No. 10-32; here small houses partly renewed in the old style, two of them with Lüftlmalereien of the Rokokozeit (No. 20 and 28/30) and one (No. 18) with modern frescos of Heinrich Bickel. The west row beyond the brook shows the most charming part of former small farmers’ and craftsmen’s houses in the village in changing projections and recesses. Largely spared shop fittings, it is here that the typical Mittenwald house layout can still be found, with semi-detached and detached houses divided like herds, which is accessed from a longitudinal street. The house fronts are occasionally enlivened by smaller 18th century facade paintings and old ornamental round gables, the oldest example of which dates from 1687 (house no. 73/75). The last shingle roof in this area can be seen at No. 61/63 (as can the house at Stainergasse 24, which is part of the ensemble). At the southern corner house of the western row of houses – “Drittelhaus” No. 53/55 with Kranzbergstraße 2 – the division of ownership can be seen particularly well in the different treatment of the façade (with a good coloured fresco and half ornamental fret). Only No. 46 at the northern end of the ensemble stands out as a stylistically inappropriate new residential building.

Ensemble Matthias-Klotz-Straße

E-1-80-123-3

Mittenwald, Hornsteinerhaus

The ensemble consists of four closed groups of houses between the parish church and the Im Gries district and contains two of the most important examples of Mittenwald façade painting (Hornsteinerhaus and Seitzhaus) by Franz Zwinck and Franz Karner, each of which is attached to a corner house and is thus particularly eye-catching in terms of urban development. The northern row of houses on Matthias-Klotz-Strasse has in part a three-storey construction – not otherwise seen on small houses in the market – which dates back to the 18th century.

Ensemble village centre Mittenwald

E-1-80-123-4

The ensemble comprises the centre of the historic village around the parish church with the streets of Obermarkt and Untermarkt leading in from the south and extending to the north-east. The concentration of particularly stately three-storey commercial and guest houses on the inner Obermarkt to the south of the parish church and on the Hochstraße leading across to the Untermarkt bears witness to the importance of the market town in various periods of its eventful history. The former street market is still clearly visible today in the town’s appearance and layout due to the close row of gabled houses on the upper and lower market.

The later village centre around the church, first mentioned around 1080 as “media in silva”, was probably only touched by the Roman road Augsburg-Brenner. In the Middle Ages, it developed into an important reloading point for Rott traffic (packing and cartage of the trade routes), south of the fork of two trade routes in the direction of Partenkirchen-Augsburg and over the Kesselberg to Munich. The long-distance trade from Upper Italy and Southern Germany and the transfer of the Bolzano market to Mittenwald (1487-1679) brought rich earnings to the village; in connection with this, the rest of the trade structure also developed. After the decline of the red wine trade, violin making, introduced around 1680 by the local Matthias Klotz, became an important branch of industry. Especially since the construction of the “Mittenwaldbahn” from Garmisch-Partenkirchen to Innsbruck (1912), tourism – with all its often necessary, but all too easily changing the historical character of a mountain town – is considered the first economic factor of the market.

Oberer Markt with the tower of the parish church of St. Peter and Paul

The position of the parish church of St. Peter and Paul in the centre of the ensemble still goes back to the late Gothic predecessor building. Joseph Schmuzer’s new Baroque building accentuated the urban reference above all through the location of the tower: it was deliberately placed exactly in the central axis of the Oberer Markt and, with its rich painting, forms a highly effective conclusion to the street as seen from the south. The development of the Upper Market begins – starting from the parish church – with a group of three-storey former publishers’ and merchants’ houses and stately inns, originally built for the transit traffic that was important at all times. In the southern continuation of the development from house no. 44 (west row) and no. 27 (east row) onwards, the closed small houses lined up in a row are staggered forwards or backwards, so that a picturesque street section results; above all the west row, interspersed with semi-detached houses, has in part very early ornamental round gables under the wide porches – several of them dated 1671 – which suggests a uniform reconstruction (after fire?). The Obermarkt merges in a square-like extension into the Dekan-Karl-Platz, which is open to the south and again has a straight row of houses with wide roof overhangs on both sides. A wedge-shaped, green area divides the square into two halves, which seems to be a later construction (probably since the beginning of the 18th century). At the back of the western row of houses, the associated, narrow plots with individual plots and house gardens have remained largely free of later development, so that here the historical parcelling has remained legible as nowhere else in the village; Klammstraße therefore forms the south-western boundary of the ensemble.

Lüftlmalerei at Obermarkt 24

Between the Upper Market south of the parish church and the Lower Market to the northeast, the Hochstraße mediates as a short transverse axis. With its stately houses lined up in eaves and gables, it still belongs to the structurally emphasised inner town centre; the house Hochstraße 14/16 at the end of the southern row shows one of the most splendid fretted gables in Mittenwald from 1688. The street bends from here to the north-east and extends to Fritz-Prölß-Platz, whose most striking house (semi-detached house no. 8/10) is emphasised by a beautiful ornamental fret from 1715. The adjoining Untermarkt was recently hit by two fire disasters: The western row of houses, the southern part of which is clearly staggered back, burned down almost completely in 1914, and the eastern row only in 1948, so that here, apart from a few remains of walls, a completely new development was necessary. Under the direction of the then district architect Schweyer, with the collaboration of renowned architects (such as Hermann Leitenstorfer and August von Thiersch in 1915/16), a still exemplary complex was created, which for reasons of space had to adopt the closed rows with flat gable roofs, but introduced a practical separation of residential and commercial parts and moved the entrances to the threshing floors to the rear; semi-detached houses retained their common central entrance. During the reconstruction measures, special value was placed on a typical local building style, on an appropriate colour scheme and on loving details (e.g. painted house names); fretwork was only used on the sides of the properties, as the houses on the Lower Market had no fretwork gables before the fires. On the west side, the ensemble boundary follows the Karalpleweg (created later), thus including the short property areas, while on the east side the Brandleweg (dead-end street) separates the backs of houses no. 32-58 from another, new row of houses, which no longer belong to the ensemble. The house Untermarkt 6/8/10, which was spared by the fire, forms, seen from the north, with its stately Bundwerk gable of 1721, a valuable “square wall” in terms of urban development. The ensemble also includes the secluded area north of the parish church with the churchyard, already mentioned in 1315, and the short, angular street of Ballenhausgasse. This modern name – as well as perhaps the ancient, elongated farm building at the south end of the east row – refers to the warehouses which were important for the former Rott traffic and which were located near the church. Within the gabled small house development of the west and north sides, the frescoed house No. 3 stands out, now a violin-making museum illustrating the other main former occupation of the village.

Individual monuments

Location Object Description File no. Image
Am Brendten
(location)
Mountain Infantry Memorial Memorial to the fallen soldiers of the mountain troops of the First and Second World War. Two high granite steles with inscription, in front of them a wooden cross and a platform, by Sebastian Norkauer, 1957, on the Hohe Brendten in a scenically exposed location. D-1-80-123-148 Gebirgsjäger-Ehrenmal
more pictures
Am Luttensee 1-15, Auf den Tennen
(location)
Luttensee Barracks Former mountain hunter barracks, planned as SA camp; loosely grouped around the roll call area on the mountain slope of the Hoher Kranzberg: Administration building, six crew buildings and two officers’ buildings, two-storey solid buildings with block-like wood-shuttered upper storey and flat gable roof, balcony, double flight of steps, in the Alpine Heimatstil; all buildings according to plans by Hans Wagner, 1934-1936. D-1-80-123-146 Luttenseekaserne
more pictures
Am Luttensee 1
(location)
Luttensee Barracks Administrative building, two-storey, elongated solid construction with block-like timber-frame upper storey and flat gable roof with ridge turret, on L-shaped ground plan, in the Alpine Heimatstil (regional style) D-1-80-123-146 associated Luttenseekaserne
Am Luttensee 2
(location)
Luttensee Barracks Barracks building D-1-80-123-146 associated BW
Am Luttensee 3
(location)
Luttensee Barracks Barracks building D-1-80-123-146 associated Luttenseekaserne
Am Luttensee 4
(location)
Luttensee Barracks Barracks building D-1-80-123-146 associated Luttenseekaserne
Am Luttensee 5
(location)
Luttensee Barracks Barracks building D-1-80-123-146 associated Luttenseekaserne
Am Luttensee 6
(location)
Luttensee Barracks Barracks building D-1-80-123-146 associated Luttenseekaserne
Am Luttensee 7
(location)
Luttensee Barracks Barracks building D-1-80-123-146 associated Luttenseekaserne
Am Luttensee 8
(location)
Luttensee Barracks Barracks building D-1-80-123-146 associated Luttenseekaserne
Am Luttensee 9
(location)
Luttensee Barracks Barracks building D-1-80-123-146 associated Luttenseekaserne
Auf den Tennen
(location)
Russian Orthodox Chapel Small central building with tent roof and turret with onion dome; with furnishings, 1949; east of the barracks complex D-1-80-123-146 associated Russisch-orthodoxe Kapelle
more pictures
Auf den Tennen
(location)
Monument to Belarusian prisoners of war Obelisk, with enclosure, inscribed 1948; east of the barracks complex D-1-80-123-146 associated Denkmal weißrussischer Kriegsgefangener
more pictures

Arnspitzstraße 4,
Viererspitzstraße 9
(location)
Former customs office
Main building
Two-storey hipped-roofed group of buildings with corner cores, rendered decoration, early 20th century. D-1-80-123-1 Ehemaliges Zollamt Hauptgebäude
more pictures
Arnspitzstraße 4,
Viererspitzstraße 9
(location)
Former customs office
Extension
Ground floor mansard roof extension with half hipped roof, early 20th century. D-1-80-123-1 associated Ehemaliges Zollamt Anbau
Arnspitzstraße 4,
Viererspitzstraße 9
(location)
Former customs office
Gate entrances
Gate entrances, with basket-arched passageways, early 20th century. D-1-80-123-1 associated Ehemaliges Zollamt Toreinfahrten
Arnspitzstraße 4,
Viererspitzstraße 9
(location)
Former customs office
Remise
Ground floor rectangular gable roof building, early 20th century. D-1-80-123-1 associated Ehemaliges Zollamt Remise
Bahnhofplatz 1
(location)
Post office Mittenwald Two-storey pitched roof building with box bay window and cross wing, c. 1910/25. D-1-80-123-2 Postamt Mittenwald
more pictures
Ballenhausgasse 3
(location)
Violin making museum Two-storey flat-gabled roof building with gable gate and baroque facade painting, before 1764, fresco inscribed 1764 by Franz Karner. D-1-80-123-4 Geigenbaumuseum
more pictures
Ballenhausgasse 5
(location)
Small house Two-storey flat-gabled building with boarded gable and small mural, in the core 18th century. D-1-80-123-6 Kleinhaus
Ballenhausgasse 7/9
(location)
Semi-detached house Two-storey gable-divided flat-gabled roof building with gable gate and boarded gable, in the core early 18th century. D-1-80-123-8 Doppelhaus
Ballenhausgasse 14/16
(location)
Semi-detached house Two-storey narrow flat-gabled roof building with baroque facade painting, 17th/18th century. D-1-80-123-11 Doppelhaushälfte
more pictures
Dekan-Karl-Platz 4/6
(location)
Semi-detached house Two-storey gable-partitioned flat-gabled roof building with gable gate and ornamental fret, 1st half 18th century. D-1-80-123-14 Doppelhaus
Dekan-Karl-Platz 8/10
(location)
Semi-detached house Two-storey gable-partitioned flat-gabled roofed building with ornamental and front frets, 1st quarter 18th century. D-1-80-123-16 Doppelhaus
Dean Karl Square 14/16
(location)
Semi-detached house Two-storey gable-divided flat-gabled roof building with gable gate, 2nd half of the 18th century. D-1-80-123-19 Doppelhaus
Dean Karl Square 17/19
(location)
Semi-detached house Two-storey gable-divided flat-gabled roof building with gable gate and ornamental frets, 1st half 18th century. D-1-80-123-21 Doppelhaus
Dean Karl Square 20
(location)
Small house Two-storey flat-gabled roof building with gable gate and baroque facade painting, before 1767, fresco by Franz Karner inscribed 1767. D-1-80-123-23 Kleinhaus
Dean Karl Square 21
(location)
Our Lady fresco Wall painting, baroque fresco of the Mother of God, 2nd half of the 18th century. D-1-80-123-24 Muttergottes-Fresko
Dean Karl Square 22
(location)
Apartment and office building Two-storey flat-gabled roof building in a corner position, 2nd half of the 18th century. D-1-80-123-25 Wohn- und Geschäftshaus
Fritz-Prölß-Platz 2
(location)
The Star Inn Two-storey flat-gabled roof building in corner position, 18th/19th century, front door marked 1826. D-1-80-123-28 Gasthaus zum Stern
Fritz-Prölß-Platz 8/10
(location)
Semi-detached house Two-storey gable-partitioned flat-gabled roof building with ornamental and front fret, inscribed 1715. D-1-80-123-30 Doppelhaus
Fritz-Prölß-Platz 19/21
(location)
Guesthouse Two-storey gable-divided flat-gabled roof building in corner position with gable gate, ground-floor porch and gabled balcony, in the core 18th century, inscribed 1915. D-1-80-123-32 Gasthaus
Fritz-Prölß-Platz 23/25
(location)
Semi-detached house Two-storey gable-divided flat-gabled roof building with gable gate, in the core 18th century, 1915 partly renewed. D-1-80-123-33 Doppelhaus
Goethestraße 2/4,
Jaisweg 24/26
(location)
Apartment house Stately four-part flat-gabled building with partly rendered or boarded blockwork upper storey and boarded gables, 18th century in core, south-east cross gable modern. D-1-80-123-34 Mehrfamilienhaus
Goethestraße 12
(location)
Small Farmhouse Two-storey flat-gabled roof building with boarded gable and boarded porch roof, 18th century. D-1-80-123-35 Kleinbauernhaus
Goethestraße 14
(location)
Former small farmhouse Two-storey flat gable roof building with wide overhang of the porch, in the core 19th century. D-1-80-123-36 Ehemaliges Kleinbauernhaus
Goethestraße 23
(location)
Small house
“Schlipferhaus”
Two-storey flat-gabled roof building with southern transverse extension and baroque facade painting, before 1762, frescoes by Franz Karner inscribed 1762 and 1767. D-1-80-123-37 Kleinhaus „Schlipferhaus“
Goethestraße 28/30
(location)
Small semi-detached house Transversely divided flat gable roof building with partially boarded upper floor and baroque mural, end of 18th century, fresco by Franz Karner. D-1-80-123-38 Kleines Doppelhaus
more pictures
Goethestraße 48/50
(location)
Double farmhouse Two-storey gable-divided flat-gabled roof building with two gable gates, facade painting, house cross and ornamental fret, early 18th century. D-1-80-123-39 Doppelbauernhaus
Hochstraße 6
(location)
Skylight grille Baroque wrought-iron grille, c. 1740. D-1-80-123-42 Oberlichtgitter
Hochstraße 9/11
(location)
Bay Flat bay window, with fresco and domed roof, late 17th century. D-1-80-123-44 Erker
Hochstraße 12/14/16
(location)
Apartment and office building Three-storey flat-gabled roofed building in corner position with ornamental and front fret, inscribed 1688. D-1-80-123-46 Wohn- und Geschäftshaus
Im Gries 18
(location)
Apartment and office building Two-storey flat gable roof building with facade painting, in the core 18th century, fresco by Heinrich Bickel 1959. D-1-80-123-49 Wohn- und Geschäftshaus
more pictures
Im Gries 20
(location)
Apartment and office building Two-storey flat gable roof building with baroque facade painting, 2nd half of the 18th century. D-1-80-123-51 Wohn- und Geschäftshaus
more pictures
Im Gries 24/26
(location)
Semi-detached house Two-storey gable-divided flat-gabled roof building with gable gate, in the core 1st quarter 18th century. D-1-80-123-53 Doppelhaus
Im Gries 28/30
(location)
Semi-detached house Two-storey gable-divided flat gable roof building with small porch, gable gate, baroque facade painting and decorative fret, around 1700, fresco inscribed 1764. D-1-80-123-54 Doppelhaus
more pictures
Im Gries 37/41
(location)
Gries Inn Two-storey double-gabled building in a corner position with flat gable roofs and northern decorative collar, 1st quarter 18th century. D-1-80-123-56 Gasthof Gries
more pictures
Im Gries 48/50
(location)
Apartment house Two-storey three-part flat-gabled roof building with gable gate, small baroque mural, ornamental and front fret, end of 17th century, fresco 2nd half of 18th century. D-1-80-123-60 Mehrfamilienhaus
Im Gries 53,
Kranzbergstraße 2
(location)
Semi-detached house Two-storey flat-gabled roof building in corner position with arbours, southern ornamental fret as well as baroque facade painting, 2nd half of 18th century, northern towed no. 55 later. D-1-80-123-62 Doppelhaus
more pictures
Im Gries 57/59
(location)
Semi-detached house Two-storey flat gable roof building with front pent roof half house, ground oriel and ornamental gable, 2nd half 18th century. D-1-80-123-63 Doppelhaus
Im Gries 61/63
(location)
Semi-detached house Ground-floor gable-partitioned flat-gabled roofed building with leg shingles, log gable and moulded arches, early 18th century. D-1-80-123-64 Doppelhaus
Im Gries 65
(location)
Small house Two-storey flat-gabled building with boarded gable and small baroque mural, 2nd half of the 18th century. D-1-80-123-65 Kleinhaus
more pictures
Im Gries 73/75
(location)
Semi-detached house Two-storey gable-divided flat-gabled roof building with gable gate and ornamental fret, inscribed 1685. D-1-80-123-67 Doppelhaus
Im Gries 81/83
(location)
Semi-detached house Two-storey gable-divided flat-gabled roof building with gable gate and ornamental fret, c. 1680/90. D-1-80-123-70 Doppelhaus
Im Kreuth 1
(location)
Villa Krause Two-storey crested hipped-roof building in Art Nouveau style with oriels and façade decoration, core 1908, extended by Richard Riemerschmid 1922. D-1-80-123-71 Villa Krause
Jaisweg 14
(location)
Small house Two-storey flat-gabled roof building with ornamental fret, mid-18th century. D-1-80-123-76 Kleinhaus
Jaisweg 16
(location)
Jais memorial plaque Stone memorial plaque on house, mid 19th century. D-1-80-123-77 Gedächtnistafel Jais
Calvary
(location)
Stations of the Cross with crucifixion group Rising on the western slope above the village, 18th century, ending with the 19th century crucifixion group (at Schillerweg 5). D-1-80-123-143 Kreuzweg mit Kreuzigungsgruppe
more pictures
Calvary
(location)
Holy Sepulchre Chapel Flat gable roof building with modern facade painting and Holy Sepulchre, probably 1st half of 18th century; with furnishings; southwest of crucifixion group. D-1-80-123-144 Kapelle Heiliges Grab
Calvary
(location)
Way Chapel Small gable-roofed building, 1st half of the 18th century. D-1-80-123-145 BW
Klausnerweg 4
(location)
Facade Gable facade of the former single ridge courtyard with baroque wall paintings, inscribed 1797. D-1-80-123-80 Fassade
Laintalstraße 38
(location)
Small house Two-storey flat gable roof building with eaves-side arbour, baroque facade painting, ornamental and front fret, modernly marked 1732, fresco (group of crosses), 2nd half of 18th century. D-1-80-123-84 Kleinhaus
Laintalstraße 50
(location)
Semi-detached house Two-storey flat gable roof building with ornamental collar, 1st half of the 18th century. Birthplace of the Lüftl painter Franz Karner (1737-1817) D-1-80-123-85 Doppelhaushälfte
Lainweg 2/4
(location)
Semi-detached house Two-storey gable-partitioned flat-gabled roof building with ornamental fret, inscribed 1720. D-1-80-123-82 Doppelhaus
Malerweg 1
(location)
Semi-detached house Gable-partitioned flat-gabled roof building with partially boarded upper storey, eaves-side arbour, box bay window and eaves fretwork, 2nd quarter 18th century. D-1-80-123-86 Doppelhaus
Malerweg 3
(location)
Semi-detached house North half of a semi-detached house, two-storey flat gable roof building with baroque facade painting and gable gate, 18th century, with fresco (Flight into Egypt), by Franz Karner formerly inscribed 1779. D-1-80-123-87 Doppelhaushälfte
Matthias-Klotz-Straße 2
(location)
Catholic Parish Church of St. Peter and Paul Baroque hall building with indented late Gothic choir and facade paintings on the south tower, by Joseph Schmuzer, 1738-40, tower marked 1746; with furnishings D-1-80-123-88 Katholische Pfarrkirche St. Peter und Paul
more pictures
Matthias-Klotz-Straße 2
(location)
Lourdes Chapel Small stone round building, 1889; with furnishings D-1-80-123-88 associated Lourdeskapelle
Matthias-Klotz-Straße 2
(location)
War Memorial Chapel Small gable roof building, 18th century; with furnishings D-1-80-123-88 associated Kriegergedächtniskapelle
Matthias-Klotz-Straße 2
(location)
Matthias Klotz Monument Historicist cast iron on a high marble base, after a design by Ferdinand Freiherr von Miller, 1890. D-1-80-123-89 Matthias-Klotz-Denkmal
more pictures
Matthias-Klotz-Straße 4
(location)
Rectory Mittenwald Three-storey flat-gabled roof building with open staircase, mid 19th century. D-1-80-123-90 Pfarrhaus Mittenwald
Matthias-Klotz-Straße 11
(location)
Facade East facade with baroque facade painting, marked 1762 and 1770. D-1-80-123-91 Fassade
more pictures
Matthias-Klotz-Straße 13/15/17
(location)
Apartment and office building Two-storey three-part double gabled building with ornamental frets, mid 18th century or 1st half 18th century. D-1-80-123-92 BW
Matthias-Klotz-Straße 21
(location)
Semi-detached farmhouse Two-storey flat-gabled building in corner position with boarded gable, 2nd half of 18th century. D-1-80-123-93 Doppelhaushälfte eines Bauernhauses
Matthias-Klotz-Straße 22/24
(location)
Double farmhouse Two-storey gable-divided flat-gabled roof building in corner position with gable gate and boarded gable field, 1st half 18th century. D-1-80-123-94 Doppelbauernhaus
Matthias-Klotz-Straße 26/28
(location)
Semi-detached house Two-storey gable-partitioned flat-gabled roofed building with gable gate and east-facing boarded gable field, 1st half 18th century. D-1-80-123-95 Doppelhaus
Matthias-Klotz-Straße 30/32
(location)
Semi-detached house Three-storey gable-partitioned flat-gabled roof building, 18th century core, ornamental fret modern. D-1-80-123-96 Doppelhaus
Upper Brunntal
(location)
Court Chapel St. Antonius Ground floor, domed tent-roofed building in classical modernist style with gallery and belfry, by Lois Welzenbacher, designated 1954; with furnishings. D-1-80-123-149 Hofkapelle St. Antonius
Obermarkt 1
(location)
Alpenrose Inn Two-storey flat gable roof building with high knee storey and rich baroque facade painting, before 1780, frescos by Franz Zwinck around 1780. D-1-80-123-100 Gasthaus Alpenrose
more pictures
Obermarkt 2
(location)
Residential and commercial building
Goethehaus
Two-storey hipped roof building with corner oriel and facade painting, in the core 18th century, reconstruction with crested hipped roof dwarf gable and balconies at the beginning of the 20th century perhaps by Franz Zell. D-1-80-123-101 Wohn- und Geschäftshaus Goethehaus
more pictures
Obermarkt 3/5/7
(location)
Apartment and office building Two-storey three-part flat-gabled roof building with gable, 18th century core, reworked in 1914. D-1-80-123-102 Wohn- und Geschäftshaus
Obermarkt 4
(location)
Hostel
Pilgrim House
Three-storey eaves-side gable-roofed building with tail-gable dormer, neo-Baroque stucco decoration and house chapel, c. 1485, stucco and ridge turret early 20th century. D-1-80-123-103 Herberge Pilgerhaus
more pictures
Obermarkt 6/8/10/12/14
(location)
Apartment and office building Three-storey five-part eaves-side building with flat gable roof and polygonal corner oriel, in the core 16th/17th century, northern rear wing in the core probably 17th century. D-1-80-123-104 Wohn- und Geschäftshaus
Obermarkt 9
(location)
Hotel Post Three-storey stately gable-roofed building with facade painting, in the core 1st half 17th century, paintings modern. D-1-80-123-105 Hotel Post
more pictures
Obermarkt 16
(location)
Former inn Three-storey building with flat gable roof on the eaves side, with façade decoration and box and polygonal corner oriel on the projecting part of the façade, essentially late Gothic. D-1-80-123-107 Ehemaliges Gasthaus
more pictures
Obermarkt 16
(location)
Stadel Boarded flat-gabled roof building with rubble stone parts, 17th/18th century. D-1-80-123-107 associated BW
Obermarkt 18/20/22
(location)
Apartment and office building Two-storey three-part flat-gabled roof building with pointed arched gable gate and ornamental fret, in the core around 1500, ornamental fret, 2nd half 17th century. D-1-80-123-109 Wohn- und Geschäftshaus
Obermarkt 24
(location)
Residential and commercial building
Neunerhaus
Three-storey flat gable roof building with wide canopy and baroque facade painting, mid-18th century. D-1-80-123-111 Wohn- und Geschäftshaus Neunerhaus
more pictures
Obermarkt 26/28/30/32
(location)
Apartment and office building Three-storey, four-part, flat-gabled roofed building with gable, bay window and ornamental collar, c. 1730/40, probably older at its core. D-1-80-123-113 Wohn- und Geschäftshaus
Obermarkt 34/36
(location)
Semi-detached house Two-storey gable-divided flat-gabled roof building with gable gate, ornamental and front fret, inscribed 1671. D-1-80-123-115 Doppelhaus
Obermarkt 38/40
(location)
Semi-detached house Two-storey gable-partitioned flat-gabled roof building with gable gate and painted decorative fret, inscribed 1671. D-1-80-123-117 Doppelhaus
Obermarkt 42
(location)
Residence Two-storey gable-divided flat-gabled roof building with wide porch roof, in the core 18th century. D-1-80-123-119 Wohnhaus
Obermarkt 46/48
(location)
Semi-detached house Two-storey gable-divided flat-gabled roof building with projecting half of the house, ornamental and front fret, essentially late 17th century. D-1-80-123-121 Doppelhaus
Obermarkt 47
(location)
Residence Two-storey flat-gabled roof building with ornamental fret, 18th century core, ornamental fret possibly modern. D-1-80-123-122 Wohnhaus
Obermarkt 54
(location)
Inn, Bolzano wine taverns Renewed two-storey flat-gabled roof building with modern painting, in the core 17th/18th century. D-1-80-123-124 Gasthaus, Bozener Weinstuben
Obermarkt 62/64
(location)
Semi-detached house Two-storey gable-partitioned flat-gabled roof building with gable gate and front porch, inscribed 1671. D-1-80-123-125 Doppelhaus
Obermarkt 70/72
(location)
Semi-detached house Two-storey gable-divided flat-gabled roof building with gable gate and ornamental fret, 2nd half 17th century. D-1-80-123-126 Doppelhaus
Obermarkt 74
(location)
Residence Two-storey flat-gabled roof building with indented gable end, gable gate and ornamental fret, 2nd half of 17th century. D-1-80-123-127 Wohnhaus
Prof.-Schreyögg-Platz 6/8
(location)
Semi-detached house
“Hornsteinerhaus”
Two-storey gable-divided flat-gabled roof building in corner position with gable gate and baroque facade painting, before 1775, frescoes by Franz Zwinck 1775. D-1-80-123-131 Doppelhaus „Hornsteinerhaus“
more pictures
Schöttlkarstraße 2
(location)
Cemetery Church of St. Nicholas Gothic hall building with indented polygonal choir and onion-shaped north tower, 1447, tower 1st half of 18th century; with furnishing D-1-80-123-132 Friedhofskirche St. Nikolaus
more pictures
Schöttlkarstraße 17
(location)
Former forestry office
Main building
Two-storey country house-like half hipped roof building in neo-baroque forms with polygonal corner oriel and facade decoration, around 1910. D-1-80-123-133 Ehemaliges Forstamt Hauptgebäude
more pictures
Schöttlkarstraße 17
(location)
Former forestry office
Gate entrance
Gate entrance, around 1910. D-1-80-123-133 associated Ehemaliges Forstamt Toreinfahrt
Schöttlkarstraße 17
(location)
Former forestry office
Remise
Ground-floor hipped-roof building, c. 1910. D-1-80-123-133 associated Ehemaliges Forstamt Remise
Stainergasse 22/24
(location)
Former double farmhouse Two-storey gable-partitioned flat-gabled building with gabled dormer and boarded gable field, mid-18th century, on No. 24 leg shingle roof. D-1-80-123-134 Ehemaliges Doppelbauernhaus
Stainergasse 31
(location)
Semi-detached house Two-storey flat-gabled roof building with small baroque mural and boarded gable field, in the core 17th/18th century, fresco 2nd half 18th century. D-1-80-123-135 Doppelhaushälfte
Stainergasse 33
(location)
Semi-detached house Two-storey flat-gabled roof building with flat bay window, eastern half in the core 17th/18th century. D-1-80-123-136 Doppelhaushälfte
Untermarkt 3/3 a
(location)
Residence Two-storey flat gable roof building with knee storey in a corner-like position with baroque facade painting, in the core 2nd half of the 18th century, frescos partly reworked. D-1-80-123-138 Wohnhaus
more pictures
Untermarkt 6/8/10,
Karwendelstraße 2
(location)
Residence Two-storey, three-part flat-gabled roof building in corner position with ornamental and front fret, inscribed 1721. D-1-80-123-140 Wohnhaus

Former monuments

This section lists properties that were once listed as monuments.

Location Object Description File No. Image
Dean Karl Square 9
(location)
Residence With decorative fret, inscribed 1715(?). D-1-80-123-17 Wohnhaus
Im Gries 42/44
(location)
Semi-detached house Two-storey flat gable roof building with ornamental fret, 1st half 18th century. D-1-80-123-58 Doppelhaus
Jaisweg 13
(location)
Former small farmhouse Two-storey leg shingle flat gabled roof building with ornamental fret and gable gate, 2nd half 18th century. D-1-80-123-75 Ehemaliges Kleinbauernhaus
Laintalstraße 2
(location)
Facade Fresco on the north side, inscribed 1752. D-1-80-123-83 Fassade
Matthias-Klotz-Straße 35/37
(location)
Semi-detached house Two-storey gable-partitioned flat-gabled roof building with gable end, arbours and north-facing boarded gable field, in the core 18th century. D-1-80-123-98 Doppelhaus
Matthias-Klotz-Straße 36
(location)
Residence Three-storey dwelling house with exposed(?) decorative collar, 1st half 18th century. D-1-80-123-99 Wohnhaus
Obermarkt 33/35
(location)
Semi-detached house Two-storey gable-divided flat-gabled roof building with gable gate, in the core 18th century. D-1-80-123-114 Doppelhaus
Prof.-Schreyögg-Platz 3
(location)
Violin Publishing House Stately, much-renovated building with half-wall, 2nd quarter 19th century. D-1-80-123-130 Geigenbau-Verlagshaus

See also

  • List of archaeological monuments in Mittenwald

Literature

  • Wilhelm Neu, Volker Liedke: Oberbayern. Ed.: Michael Petzet, Bayerisches Landesamt für Denkmalpflege (= Monumentsin Bavaria. Volume I.2). Oldenbourg, Munich 1986, ISBN 3-486-52392-9.

Web links

Commons: Monuments in Mittenwald– Collection of pictures, videos and audio files

Notes

  1. This list may not correspond to the current status of the official monument list. The latter can be viewed as a PDF on the Internet via the link given under Weblinks as well as mapped in the Bavarian Monument Atlas. Although these representations are updated daily by the Bavarian State Office for the Preservation of Monuments, they do not always reflect the current status. Therefore, the presence or absence of an object in this list or in the Bavarian Monument Atlas does not guarantee that it is currently a registered monument or not.

    Furthermore, the Bavarian list of monuments is an indicative list. Monument status – and thus legal protection – is defined in Art. 1 of the Bavarian Monument Protection Act (BayDSchG) and does not depend on mapping in the monument atlas and entry in the Bavarian monument list. Objects that are not listed in the Bavarian Monument List can also be monuments if they fulfil the criteria according to Art. 1 BayDSchG. For all projects, early involvement of the Bavarian State Office for Monument Preservation is therefore necessary in accordance with Art. 6 BayDSchG.