Larry I. Bland (b. 1940 in Indianapolis, USA; † 27 November 2007 in Lexington, Virginia, USA) was a US historian and director of the George Marshall Foundation.
Larry Bland studied physics at Purdue University and received his doctorate in political history from the University of Wisconsin. After teaching at universities in North Carolina and Illinois and at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, he became director of the George C. Marshall Foundation in 1977.
Bland was a biographer of George C. Marshall. He published numerous essays and works on George Marshall and on the Marshall Plan, the U.S. reconstruction program for Europe after World War II, as well as on the Cold War, the Truman Doctrine, and Averell Harriman. He worked until his death to complete his six-volume work, The Papers of George Catlett Marshall.
He was managing editor of the Journal of Military History for 19 years.
He has received several awards for his work, including the Society for Military History’s Victor Gondos Memorial Service Award.
- Larry Bland, Fred L. Hadsel: The Papers of George Catlett Marshall: The Soldierly Spirit, December 1880 – June 1939, Johns Hopkins University Press 1982, ISBN 0-8018-2552-0
- Larry Bland, Clarence E. Wunderlin: The Papers of George Catlett Marshall: We Cannot Delay, July 1, 1939 – December 6, 1941, Johns Hopkins University Press 1986, ISBN 0-8018-2553-9
- Larry Bland, Sharon R. Ritenour: The Papers of George Catlett Marshall: The Right Man for the Job, December 7, 1941 – May 31, 1943, Johns Hopkins University Press 1991, ISBN 0-8018-2967-4
- Larry Bland, Sharon R. Ritenour: The Papers of George Catlett Marshall: Aggressive and Determined Leadership, June 1, 1943 – December 31, 1944, Johns Hopkins University Press 1996, ISBN 0-8018-5368-0
- Larry Bland, Sharon R. Ritenour: The Papers of George Catlett Marshall: The Finest Soldier, January 1, 1945 – January 7, 1947, Johns Hopkins University Press 2004, ISBN 0-8018-7871-3
- Larry Bland, Roger B. Jeans, Mark F. Wilkinson: George C. Marshall’s Mediation Mission to China, December 1945 – January 1947, Marshall George C Research 1998, ISBN 0-935524-04-5
- Website of The George C. Marshall Foundation
- Newport News, “George C. Marshall historian Larry Bland dies,” Associated Press November 29, 2007
- Literature by and about Larry Bland in the WorldCat bibliographic database
- “Dr. Larry I. Bland Dies of Heart Failure” (PDF; 41 kB), The George C. Marshall Foundation
|ALTERNATE NAMES||Bland, Larry I.|
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||US historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1940|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Indianapolis|
|STERBEDATUM||27. November 2007|