Article

Read

Kriegsheim (Bas-Rhin)

from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Kriegsheim
Wappen von Kriegsheim
Kriegsheim (Frankreich)
Kriegsheim
Region Grand Est
Department (No) Bas-Rhin (67)
Arrondissement Haguenau-Wissembourg
Canton Brumath
Community association Haguenau
Coordinates 48° 46′ N, 7° 44′ ECoordinates 48° 46′ N, 7° 44′ O
Height 159–196 m
Area 4,06 km²
Inhabitants 787 (January 1, 2018)
Population density 194 inhabitants/km²
Postal code 67170
INSEE code
Website www.kriegsheim.fr

Kriegsheim is a French commune with 787 inhabitants (as of 1 January 2018) in the Bas-Rhin department in the Grand Est region (until 2015 Alsace). It is located in the canton of Brumath in the Bas-Rhin department. On 1 January 2015, Kriegsheim transferred from the arrondissement of Strasbourg-Campagne to the arrondissement of Haguenau-Wissembourg.[1]

Geography

Kriegsheim is located 20 kilometres north of Strasbourg and five kilometres southwest of Haguenau in the Collines de Brumath landscape on the edge of the Upper Rhine Plain. The Lohgraben, an 11 km long tributary of the Moder, rises in Kriegsheim.

Kriegsheim borders Niederschaeffolsheim to the north, Weitbruch to the east, Brumath to the south and Rottelsheim to the west.

History

Merovingian grave finds prove that the area was already populated in the 5th to 8th century.

The village was first mentioned in a document in 823 in an exchange between Count Erchangar and Bernold, Bishop of Strasbourg. In 953, the monastery of Lorsch received goods in Kriegsheim through an act of Emperor Otto I. The village is now the seat of the monastery of Lorsch.

Kriegsheim was one of the 28 villages whose possessions were divided between the bishopric of Strasbourg and the Old Empire in 1236.

After the Habsburgs ascended to the throne in 1272, Kriegsheim became an imperial village and came under the bailiwick of Hagenau. The community belonged to the Schultheißamt Batzendorf until 1789.

In 1460, half of the village fell to the St. Thomas Chapter of Strasbourg. In 1625 Georg Dietrich von Wangen received the other half until the French Revolution.

On November 21, 1959, Kriegsheim received Charles de Gaulle, the first president of the Fifth French Republic.

Population development

Year 1962 1968 1975 1982 1990 1999 2007 2013
Inhabitants 316 330 331 362 405 615 710 706

Places of interest

The church of Saint-Ulrich is equipped with a modern organ from 1977/1978, which replaced an organ built in 1861 by Martin Wetzel. Only the original facade is still preserved.

Infrastructure

Kriegsheim is served by the D263 departmental road. It connects Kriegsheim with Haguenau and the cantonal capital of Brumath, where there is access to the A4 autoroute, which here coincides with the European Route 25.

Literature

  • Le Patrimoine des Communes du Bas-Rhin. Flohic Editions, vol. 1, Charenton-le-Pont 1999, ISBN 2-84234-055-8, p. 279.

Individual references

  1. http://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/eli/decret/2014/12/29/2014-1722/jo/texte

Web links

Commons: Kriegsheim– Collection of pictures, videos and audio files