Josef Klingler (* 27 April 1934 in Wildschönau; † 20 August 2010) was an Austrian educationalist and rector of the University of Education in Klagenfurt.
After completing eight grades of elementary school, Klingler graduated from the Innsbruck Teacher Training College. After completing this training, Josef Klinger worked as an elementary school teacher from 1953 to 1955, before moving to the Innsbruck-Hötting secondary school in 1956. In the same year he began studying education at the University of Innsbruck. After receiving his doctorate, Klingler taught at the Pedagogical Academy in Feldkirch and at the Vocational Pedagogical Institute in Innsbruck before being assigned to the newly founded University of Education in Klagenfurt in 1970.
In 1974 he habilitated there with the thesis “Before the school system all children are equal? On the forcibly created justice of performance measurement and selection” and was appointed Professor of School Education. Josef Klingler was elected rector of what is now the University of Education in 1977 and held this office until 1979. Afterwards he was active in various academic functions, for example as head of the Institute for School Pedagogy and Social Pedagogy and from 1990 to 1998 as chairman of the Study Commission for Pedagogy. Even after his retirement in 2002, Josef Klingler remained associated with the University of Klagenfurt as a lecturer. Outside the university, Klingler was active in adult education, among other things for the Austrian Ministry of the Interior.
Josef Klingler was married and father of eight children.
In 2008 Klingler was awarded the University’s Ring of Honour for his services to “the expansion and shaping of Klagenfurt University as a socially significant and educational institution”.
- Social problems of compulsory school teachers. An empirical contribution to the sociology of the teaching profession. Pädagogischer Verlag Ketterl, Vienna 1971.
- Survey on the situation of youth in Tyrol. Amt der Tiroler Landesregierung, Innsbruck 1977.
- Starting points of the future. 2. Edition. Amt der Tiroler Landesregierung, Innsbruck 1979.
- Objektivität und Gerechtigkeit bei der Beurteilung von Schülerleistungen. Universitätsverlag Carinthia, Klagenfurt 1982, ISBN 3-85378-198-5.
- Josef Klingler and Peter Posch (eds.): Studierende mit Berufserfahrung – eine Herausforderung für die Universitäten. Beiträge zu einer internationalen Tagung an der Universität für Bildungswissenschaften, Klagenfurt. Böhlau, Vienna/Cologne/Graz 1986, ISBN 3-205-08143-9.
- Science and Humanity. An introduction to problems in the theory of science based on Ignác Fülöp Semmelweis. Hermagoras/Mohorjeva, Klagenfurt/Ljubljana/Vienna 2002, ISBN 3-85013-896-8.
- In Memoriam Josef Klingler. In: University of Klagenfurt (ed.): Unisono. October 2010, p. 34.
- Literature by and about Josef Klingler in the catalogue of the German National Library
- Obituary.(PDF) (No longer available online.) In: Tiroler Tageszeitung. 25 August 2010, formerly in.Original; retrieved 10 November 2010.(page no longer available, search web archives ) Info: Thelink was automatically marked as broken. Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Ring of honor for Josef Klingler.University of Klagenfurt, 19 January 2008, retrieved 10 November 2010.
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||Austrian educationalist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||27. April 1934|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Wildschönau|
|STERBEDATUM||20. August 2010|