José María Giménez
|José María Giménez|
José María Giménez (2017)
|Name||José María Giménez de Vargas|
|Birthday||20. January 1995|
|2013–||Atlético Madrid||123 (3)|
|2013–||Uruguay U20||10 (0)|
|1 Only league matches are shown.
Status: June 20, 2020
2 As at: 16 October 2019
José María Giménez, full name José María Giménez de Vargas, (born 20 January 1995 in Toledo) is a Uruguayan footballer.
Giménez, a 6-foot-5 defensive player who occupies the position of central defender, began his career with Danubio in the Tercera División. He made his Primera División debut under coach Juan Ramón Carrasco in the match against Central Español on Matchday 11 of the 2012 Apertura. He played 16 first division games for Danubio in the 2012/13 season. In April 2013, he signed a five-year contract with Atlético Madrid. He made his first appearance in the Spanish Primera División on 14 September 2013 in a 4-2 win over UD Almería and was straight into the starting eleven. He played in central defence with his compatriot Diego Godín. He had made his international debut just four days earlier. He did not make another mandatory club appearance for Atlético in his debut season in 2013/14. In his first season with the club, he won the national title with the team.
In the 2014/15 season, which his club finished third in the table, he was used 20 times (one goal) in Spain’s top division and four times (no goal) in the Champions League. During the 2015/16 season, he made 27 appearances (one goal) in the Primera División and eight appearances (no goal) in the Champions League. During the 2016/17 season, he played 17 La Liga games (no goal) and six games (no goal) in the Champions League.
Giménez made his Uruguay U-20 debut on 10 April 2013 under coach Juan Verzeri in a 2-1 loss to Chile. A few months later, he participated in the 2013 U-20 World Cup with Uruguay and finished the tournament in second place. Over the course of the tournament, he featured in seven matches. In total (as of 5 July 2013), he has made ten caps for the side. He did not score a goal.
Giménez made his Uruguay senior debut on 10 September 2013 with a starting appearance in the 2-0 World Cup qualifying win over Colombia. However, he was again in the starting line-up in the following World Cup qualifier against Ecuador on 11 October 2013. At the 2014 World Cup in Brazil, he was the youngest player in the Uruguay squad and played in three of the Uruguayans’ four games at the tournament. He scored his first international goal on 8 September 2014 in a 1-0 away win in a friendly international against South Korea. However, he was again called up to the Uruguayan team for the 2015 Copa América in Chile. There he was eliminated with the Celeste in the quarter-finals.
He is taking part in the 2018 World Cup with Uruguay. In the first group match against Egypt, he scored the game-winning 1:0 in the 90th minute.
- Spanish Champion: 2013/14
- Spanish Super Cup Winner: 2014
- UEFA Europa League: 2018
- UEFA Super Cup Winner: 2018
- UEFA Champions League: Finalist: 2014, 2016
- U-20 Vice World Champion 2013
- Copa América 2019: Team of the tournament
On 13 December 2014, Giménez announced that he had become the father of a son that day. At the age of 17, when his then 14-year-old sister became pregnant, he wanted to stop playing football and find a job to support his family financially and provide for the child. Representatives of his club at the time were able to convince him to continue playing football, and that same year he was signed by Atlético Madrid.
– Collection of images, videos and audio files
- José María Giménez in the database of fussballdaten.de
- José María Giménez in the database of National-Football-Teams.com (English)
- Pichón de crack (Spanish) on aguantenche.com.uy, retrieved 11 September 2013
- Profile on fichajes.com, retrieved September 11, 2013
- El Atlético de Madrid ficha a José María Giménez (Spanish) at www.clubatleticodemadrid.com on 24 April 2013, retrieved 11 September 2013
- Profile season 213/14 on kicker.de, retrieved 17 May 2014
- Kicker profile 2014/15, retrieved 27 May 2015
- Kicker profile 2015/16, retrieved 4 June 2016
- Kicker profile 2016/17, retrieved 26 May 2017
- 19 – JOSÉ GIMÉNEZ (Spanish) on.org.uy, retrieved 11 September 2013
- El debut de Giménez con la mayor – Movimiento sin techo (Spanish) on futbol.com.uy dated 11 September 2013, retrieved on 11 September 2013
- Hay defensa pa’ rato (Spanish) on futbol.com.uy from 11 September 2013, retrieved on 11 September 2013
- Ecuador 1 – 0 Uruguay, retrieved 13 October 2013
- Copa América 2019 Team of the Tournament, report on copaamerica.com, page in Spanish, retrieved 18 July 2019
- Josema Giménez fue padre – Un papá genial (Spanish) on futbol.com.uy from 13 December 2014, retrieved on 13 December 2014
- El enorme gesto de Giménez con su hermana cuando quedó embarazada de adolescente.5 June 2020, accessed 21 June 2020 (Spanish).
|NAME||Giménez, José María|
|ALTERNATE NAMES||Giménez de Vargas, José María (full name)|
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||uruguayan footballer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||20. January 1995|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Toledo, Uruguay|