|Building style||Late Baroque|
|Year of manufacture||1712/13|
Johannesstraße 28 refers to a listed building in the Rhineland-Palatinate city of Speyer. The two-storey patrician house was built in 1712/13.
The house is located on the north side of Johannesstraße 28. Four large-volume residential and commercial buildings form a closed section of late Baroque development, beginning with number 27 and ending with the former inn Zum Schwanen am Schwanenbuckel (number 30). They are part of the monument zone “Old Town north of Maximilianstraße”.
The houses on both sides of the former Johannesgasse were destroyed in 1689 during the Palatine War of Succession and mostly rebuilt between 1700 and 1730. Today’s number 28 belonged in the second half of the 18th century to the council advisor Joh. Gerhard von Stökken of the imperial city of Speyer. He was a grandson of the Danish crown councillor Gerhard von Stökken and created a complete inventory of the house for his three daughters.
The large-volume mansion in the style of the late Baroque stands with the eaves side to the street and is two-storied. The facade of the plaster building is structured with corner ashlar and belt cornices made of sandstone up to the three attics. The street side shows nine window axes and faces south, on the east side there is a gateway which also serves as an entrance. The windows still have their old divisions and shutters, and their simple reveals are not pierced. In the gable roof, dormers were installed in the first attic.
The bend in the façade and the slight swivelling of the axis suggest that the building may have been erected on two plots.
- Katrin Hopstock: History of the estates Johannesstraße 28/29 in Speyer. C. Dupré, Speyer 1985.
- Herbert Dellwing: Cultural Monuments in Rhineland-Palatinate. Volume 1: City of Speyer. Ed.: State Office for the Preservation of Monuments. 2. Edition. Schwann, Düsseldorf 1990, ISBN 3-88462-801-1.
- Rhineland-Palatinate Directorate General for Cultural Heritage (ed.) Memorandum index of cultural monuments of the district-free city of Speyer (PDF; 4.9 MB). Mainz 2018.
– Collection of images, videos and audio files
- Consecutive, non-jumping numbering.
- Legal Decree on the Protection of the Monument Zone Maximilianstraße of 26 November 1992 (PDF)
- Speyer Municipal Archives: Von Stökken. In the finding aid of the fonds: Inventories and property divisions. 001 A / 800.