Jan van Bemmel
Jan H. van Bemmel (born 1938 in Rotterdam) is a Dutch medical informatician and pioneer of medical informatics.
After receiving his PhD in 1969 from the University of Nijmegen (Netherlands) in physics and mathematics, he became Professor of Medical Informatics in 1971. From 1973 to 1987 he was Professor of Medical Informatics at the Free University of Amsterdam and from 1987 Professor of Medical Informatics at the University of Rotterdam. From 2000 to 2003 he was Rector of the Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences, member since 1987
- Institute of Medicine of National Academy of Science (USA), corresponding member since 1991
- B. Bolzano Honorary Medal of the Academy of Sciences, Czech Republic, 1999
- Umbra Erasmi Medal of the Erasmus University Rotterdam, 1998
- Ad Fontes Medal of the Erasmus University Rotterdam, 2003
- Knight of the Order of the Dutch Lion, 2003
- Honorary membership of the European Federation for Medical Informatics (EFMI), 2006
- Jan van Bemmel, M.A. Musen, Mark A. Musen (eds.): Handbook of Medical Informatics. Springer, Heidelberg 1997, ISBN 3-540-63351-0.
|NAME||Bemmel, Jan van|
|ALTERNATE NAMES||Bemmel, Jan H. van|
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||dutch medical computer scientist and pioneer of medical informatics|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1938|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Rotterdam|