Jäger-Regiment zu Pferde Nr. 8
The Jäger Regiment zu Pferde No. 8 was a cavalry unit of the Prussian Army.
- VIII. Army Corps in Koblenz
- Commanding General: Lieutenant General Erich Tülff von Tschepe und Weidenbach
- 16. Division in Trier
- Commander: Lieutenant General von Lindenau
- 16. Cavalry Brigade in Trier
- Commander: Colonel Kleemann m.F.b.
- Regimental Commander: Major Freiherr von Tettau
- Garrison: Jägerkaserne Trier
- Foundation day of the regiment: 1 October 1913
By Allerhöchster-Kabinetts-Order (A.K.O.) of September 4, 1913, the formation of a regiment of hunters on horseback with the number 8 was ordered as of October 1, 1913.
This required giving up:
- 4. Eskadron/Westphalian Uhlan Regiment No. 5
- 2. Eskadron/2nd Hanoverian Dragoon Regiment No. 16
- 2. Eskadron/Husar Regiment “Landgrave Friedrich II. of Hesse-Homburg” (2nd Electoral Hessian) No. 14
- 4. Eskadron/2nd Guards Dragoon Regiment “Empress Alexandra of Russia
- 1. Eskadron/2nd Grand Ducal Mecklenburg Dragoon Regiment No. 18
At the beginning of the First World War, the Jäger in the 16th Cavalry Brigade (together with the Jäger Regiment zu Pferde No. 7) initially deployed to the West, to be transferred to the Eastern Front in the spring of 1915. Here the regiment was used for patrol, security and reconnaissance duties. For the period after August 1916 no records are available.
The tradition was taken over in the Reichswehr by the 4th Eskadron of the 9th (Prussian) Rider Regiment in Beeskow.
The uniform was based on the style of the cuirassiers. The tunic was grey-green with Swedish lapels. The collar, lapels and lugs were light green, while the badge color was white. The buttons were white, boots and leather gear black. The officer’s helmet as for the cuirassiers, but of blackened tin with dragoon eagle as ornament, edging rails, scale chains and lace were of tombac. The crew helmet corresponded to the helmet of the dragoons. (Since there were not enough cuirassier helmets available when Regiments 8-13 were formed, the conversion did not take place until 1915) Dragoon boots were worn. The epaulettes were marked with the regimental number.
|Major/Lieutenant Colonel||William of Baumbach||1. October 1913||10. August 1916|
|Major||Axel von Wachtmeister||11. August 1916||21. January 1917|
|Major||Otto von Bose||22. January 1917||1919|
- Hugo F.W. Schulz: The Prussian Cavalry Regiments 1913/1914. Weltbild Verlag 1992.
- Stefan Rest (ed.), Jürgen Kraus: Die deutsche Armee im Ersten Weltkrieg Ingolstadt 2004.
- Günter Wegmann (eds.), Günter Wegner: Formation history and staffing of the German armed forces 1815-1990. Part 1: Staffing of the German armies 1815-1939. Volume 3: Staffing of the active regiments, battalions and divisions from the foundation or formation until 26 August 1939. Cavalry, artillery, pioneers, motoring and driving divisions, armoured troops, transport troops and intelligence divisions. Biblio Verlag. Osnabrück 1993. ISBN 3-7648-2413-1. p. 194.