Sir Humphrey Bourchier of Berners (b. c. 1440; † 14 April 1471 at Barnet) was an English knight.
He was the son and heir of John Bourchier, 1st Baron Berners. His uncle Thomas Bourchier was Archbishop of Canterbury and Lord Chancellor. He was a great-great-grandson of King Edward III back. His grandmother was Anne of Gloucester, daughter of Thomas of Woodstock, 1st Duke of Gloucester, fifth son of Edward III.
On 27 June 1461 he was knighted Knight of the Bath on the occasion of the coronation of Edward IV. Sir Humphrey, like his father, was a loyal supporter of the House of York, King Edward IV and Queen Elizabeth Woodville. He was co-constable of Windsor Castle from 1466 to 1471. He fought for Edward IV at the Battle of Barnet against Richard Neville, 16th Earl of Warwick and fell there on 14 April 1471. He died before his father, so that the latter’s title of Baron Berner passed to his son.
Marriage and offspring
Sir Humphrey was married to Elizabeth Tilney, daughter of Sir Frederick Tilney. With her he had three children:
- Margaret Bourchier ⚭ (1) Sir Thomas Bryan of Ashridge, ⚭ (2) David Soche;
- Anne Bourchier ⚭ Thomas Fiennes, 8th Baron Dacre;
- John Bourchier, 2nd Baron Berners.
After his death, his widow married Thomas Howard, 2nd Duke of Norfolk, as his first wife.
- Egerton Brydges: Peerage of England. Volume III, London 1812.
- Arthur Collins: Proceedings, Precedents and Arguements on Claims and Controversies concerning Baronies by Writ and other Honours. London 1734.
- Bernard Burke: A Genealogical History of the Dormant, Abeyant, Forfeited, and Extinct Peerages of the British Empire. Harrison, London 1866.
- T. C. Banks: Baronia Anglica Concentrata. William Harrison, London.
- George Fischer: A Companion and Key to the History of England. Simpkin and Marshall, London 1832.
- T. C. Banks: The Dormant and Extinct Baronage of England. Volume I, T. Bensley, London 1807.
- Sir Humphrey Bourchier on thepeerage.com
- William Arthur Shaw: The Knights of England. Volume 1, Sherratt and Hughes, London 1906, p. 133.
- BOURCHIER FAMILYIn: tudorplace .com. Retrieved 10 February 2016.
- Towton Battlefield Society.
|ALTERNATE NAMES||Bourchier of Berners, Sir Humphrey (full name)|
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||knight of England|
|DATE OF BIRTH||around 1440|
|STERBEDATUM||14. April 1471|