Article

Read

Hermann Piecq

from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hermann Piecq (* 30 May 1859 in Cologne; † 1 November 1920 in Gladbach) was mayor in Mönchengladbach (official name at that time Munich-Gladbach).

Life

Hermann Piecq was born in Cologne as the son of the general practitioner Carl Adam Piecq.

After high school graduation and military service, Piecq studied law and national economics in Tübingen, Bonn, Göttingen, and Jena. From 1880 he was a member of the Corps Bremensia Göttingen.[1] Afterwards he was a public prosecutor in Cologne and Aachen. In 1891 he became alderman in Cologne. From 1900 to 1920 he was mayor and lord mayor in Gladbach.

At the age of 61, Piecq died on November 1, 1920 in Gladbach as a result of an operation. He was buried in a grave of honour in the city.

Mayor

From his office as Cologne alderman, Piecq applied for the vacant mayoral position in Mönchengladbach in 1900. In October 1900 he was solemnly inaugurated as mayor. He received the honorary title of Lord Mayor in 1903 from the Prussian King Wilhelm II. Towards the end of his twelve-year term in February 1912, he was unanimously elected mayor for life. In 1919 he asked for retirement, but it was not granted. Thus he died in office in 1920.

No other mayor has left his mark on the city of Mönchengladbach as much as Hermann Piecq. Among other things, the professional fire brigade, a municipal orchestra, the Mönchengladbach tramway and the expansion of the drinking water supply were created under him.

Furthermore, the townscape was sustainably shaped. During his term of office, and partly with his help, many buildings were erected that still exist today. For example, the Mönchengladbach water tower on Viersener Straße, the Kaiser-Friedrich-Halle, the savings bank building on Alter Markt (now the police station), the district court, the fire insurance institution (now the district court) and the Balderich monument.

The appearance of the Hermann-Piecq-Anlage, which is named after him today, and the Hohenzollernstrasse, which were built on a section of the Krefeld-Rheydt railway line that was closed down in 1909, are also due to his commitment.

Awards

  • 1904 Order of the Red Eagle IV. Class
  • 1906 Order of the Crown III. class

Individual references

  1. Kösener Corpslisten 1910, 63, 889.

Sources