Herbert J. Kaufmann
Herbert Josef Kaufmann (* 10 June 1924 in Frankfurt am Main; † 15 April 2010 in Berlin) was a German radiologist.
At the age of four, Kaufmann moved with his family to Basel. In Basel and Geneva he completed his studies and assistantship in internal medicine, anatomy and paediatric surgery. In 1951 he was awarded his doctorate with a thesis on Das Coecum mobile im Kindesalter. From 1952 to 1955 and in 1960/61 Kaufmann worked in Boston. In 1963 he habilitated with a thesis on X-ray findings on the infantile pelvis in congenital skeletal affections and chromosomal aberrations. From 1965 to 1971 he was head of the X-ray department of the University Children’s Hospital in Basel, where he was appointed associate professor in 1970.
In 1971 Herbert J. Kaufmann went to the Childrens Hospital of Philadelphia as chief radiologist, and in 1977 he accepted a visiting professorship in Paris. In 1979 he was appointed professor at the Free University of Berlin, where he headed the Department of Pediatric Radiology at the University Children’s Hospital of the Kaiserin-Auguste-Viktoria-Haus at the Rudolf Virchow Hospital until his retirement in 1992.
- The first 30 years of the ESPR : the history of pediatric radiology in Europe. Berlin etc. 1993, ISBN 3-540-56541-8
- New imaging techniques in pediatrics. Munich etc. 1990, ISBN 3-88603-357-0
- Contrast agents in pediatric radiology. Basel etc. 1986, ISBN 3-8055-4439-1
- X-ray findings on the infantile pelvis in congenital skeletal affections and chromosomal aberrations. Stuttgart 1964
- Literature by and about Herbert J. Kaufmann in the catalogue of the German National Library
- Portrait article on the occasion of the 80th birthday with photos (PDF; 146 kB)
- Homepage of the ESPR
- Child and Radiology, issue 2/2004, p. 38(Memento of 20 January 2016 in the Internet Archive) (PDF; 146 kB)
|NAME||Kaufmann, Herbert J.|
|ALTERNATE NAMES||Kaufmann, Herbert Josef|
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||german radiologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||10. June 1924|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Frankfurt am Main|
|STERBEDATUM||15. April 2010|