Heinrich Joseph von Auersperg
Heinrich Joseph Johann von Auersperg (* 24 June 1697 in Vienna; † 9 February 1783 ibid) was the 4th Prince of Auersperg as well as Duke of Münsterberg.
Heinrich Josef von Auersperg was the son of Franz Karl von Auersperg, 3rd Prince of Auersperg and Duke of Münsterberg. He served under Charles VI as Oberhofmarschall until 1738, then as Oberstallmeister and Oberkämmerer at the court of Maria Theresa until 1765, and became a close friend of Emperor Franz Stephan. He was also field marshal as well as Obersthofmeister (Ajo) to Emperor Joseph II
He was admitted to the Order of the Golden Fleece on 28 November 1739.
After the death of Heinrich Joseph von Auersperg, his eldest son Karl Joseph Anton (1720-1800) succeeded him as 5th Prince. He was succeeded as 6th Prince von Auersperg by his eldest son Wilhelm (1749-1822), as 7th Prince by his eldest son Karl Wilhelm II (1782-1827) and as 8th Prince by his eldest son Carlos (1814-1890).
Marriages and offspring
On 21 May 1719, Heinrich Josef von Auersperg married Marie Dominika von und zu Liechtenstein (1698-1724), a daughter of Johann Adam Andreas, Prince of Liechtenstein, Duke of Troppau and Jägerndorf, and his wife Erdmuthe Maria Theresia, Princess of Dietrichstein-Nikolsburg, by his first marriage, and had three children with her:
- Karl Joseph Anton von Auersperg (1720-1800), later 5th Prince von Auersperg ⚭ 1744 Maria Josepha Rosalia von Trautson, heiress of her family
- Johann Adam von Auersperg (1721-1795)
- Maria Theresa of Auersperg (1722-1732)
After Marie Dominika’s death, Heinrich Josef von Auersperg married Maria Franziska Antonia von Trautson, Countess zu Falkenstein (1708-1761) in 1726. With his second wife he had nine children:
- Maria Anna von Auersperg (1730-1731)
- Joseph Franz Anton von Auersperg (1734-1795)
- Maria Theresa Franziska-Xaveria Antonia Oktavia von Auersperg (1735-1800), married to Johann Joseph Count Kinsky von Wchinitz und Tettau
- Maria Antonia von Auersperg (1739-1816), married Count von Wurmbrand-Stuppach
- Franz von Paula Prince of Auersperg (1741-1795) married Vinzenzia Freiin von Rechbach
- Maria Anna von Auersperg (1743-1816) married Joseph Wenzel von Würben und Freudenthal
- Johann Baptist Count of Auersperg (1745-1816)
- Alois Franz Count of Auersperg (1747-1817)
- Franz Xaver Count von Auersperg (1749-1808), married to Maria Elisabeth von Kaunitz
- Adam Wolf, Johann Joseph Khevenhüller: From the Court Life of Maria Theresa. After the memoirs of Prince Joseph Khevenhüller. Verlag Gerold, Vienna 1859, p. 151.
- Liste nominale des chevaliers de l’ordre de la Toison d’or, depuis son instiution jusqu’à nos jours, in: Das Haus Österreich und der Orden vom Goldenen Vlies. Ed. by the Chancellery of the Order. Leopold Stocker Verlag, Graz/Stuttgart 2007 (ISBN 978-3-7020-1172-7), pp. 161-198, here p. 182.
- Auersperg on genealogy
- Family tree of Maria Dominika, Princess von und zu Liechtenstein at http://www.geneall.net/