Heeswijk Castle is an 11th century moated castle near Heeswijk, part of the municipality of Bernheze, in the Dutch province of North Brabant.
Around 1080, a motte was built as a precursor to today’s castle. In the course of the Middle Ages, this motte was levelled and a castle was built instead of the castle.
During the Eighty Years’ War, Heeswijk Castle was twice unsuccessfully besieged around 1600 by troops under the command of Moritz of Orange. His successor and half-brother Frederick Henry was more successful and captured the castle in 1629, so that he could subsequently lay siege to the town of Herzogenbusch.
In the course of his war against the Republic of the Seven United Provinces, the French King Louis XIV stayed at Heeswijk Castle in 1672.
In the winter of 1794/1795, Heeswijk Castle was used as headquarters by Jean-Charles Pichegru, general of the French Revolutionary troops.
The governor of the province of North Brabant Andreas van den Bogaerde van Terbrugge bought the castle, which had fallen into disrepair, in 1835 and began its reconstruction. An armoury and the iron tower(IJzertoren) were added to the castle to house van den Bogaerde van Terbrugge’s growing collection of art and curiosities, as well as those of his sons, Louis and Donat.
The last renovation of the castle took place in 2005. In the castle museum the living conditions and the collecting tradition of the middle of the 19th century are reproduced. After the restoration, guided tours of the castle are offered again. The Hall of Arms is used as a registry office by the municipality of Bernheze. The cellars under the courtyard are used as party rooms, the coachman’s house as a congress centre and education centre.
– Collection of images, videos and audio files
- Website of the castle (Dutch)