Güntisberg (dialect Im Güntschbärg) is a hamlet in the Zürcher Oberland, an outer ward of the municipality of Wald. The settlement core lies atsea level. The highest point(Güpfel) is sea level.
In the late 19th century Güntisberg was one of six school communities in the political municipality of Wald.
It also included the hamlet of Mettlen to the west of Güntisberg, the hamlet of Hiltisberg to the south, and the farms of Batzenberg, Gart, Dachsegg, Hagenacher, Schebi, Grossweiher and Widenriet.
The Güntisbergstrasse leads over the Güntisberg and connects Wald with the Hiltisberg. Apart from a school bus from the municipality of Wald, there are no bus routes.
In Güntisberg and Hiltisberg there is one excursion restaurant each.
Güntisberg is situated on the south-eastern spur of the Batzberg, south of the settlement centre of Wald, about halfway between the villages of Wald and Eschenbach.
The Batzberg was formed about 24,000 years ago by the retreat of the Rhine glacier.
Almost the entire mountain is used for agriculture or is forested.
Güntisberg has a varied climate, which can be attributed to its geographical location between warm and cold air. The amount of precipitation is around 1100 millimetres per year. The warmest months are between June and August with 13.2 hours of sunshine and an average of 23.1 °C, the coldest are in December to February with an average of 2.1 °C.
An acoustic echo represents a topological peculiarity. Due to the unusual shape of the terrain and the clear tree line of the forest clearing as an acoustic mirror, sound waves are reflected back delayed by a few seconds. This creates an auditory event separate from the originator, which is perceived by the human ear as an echo.
Observatory and research station
An observatory was built on the highest point of the Güntisberg in 1993 on behalf of the Astronomische Gesellschaft Zürcher Oberland (AGZO). Due to a barn and a large nut tree, observing the sky in the west proved to be difficult, which is why an additional western observing site was added to the facility in 1997.
- F. Schulthess, Memorabilia Tigurina; or, Chronicle of the Memorabilia of the Canton of Zurich 1850 to 1860. 1870 pp. 684.