|Alternate Name(s):||Golau Castle|
|Time of origin:||1293–1310|
|Estates position:||Ordensburg and cathedral|
Gollub Castle was a castle of the Teutonic Order in Kulm Land (later West Prussia) in the village of Gollub, today Golub-Dobrzyń. It served as a safeguard on the Drewenz River, which was a border river.
In 1254 Gollub was handed over by the German Order to the Bishop of Włocławek, but already in 1293 it came back into possession of the Order. From 1293 to 1310 the castle was built for security.
With the Second Peace of Thorn in 1466, the castle together with the entire Prussian royal share became part of Poland. Princess Anna Wasa of Sweden had the castle rebuilt in Renaissance style as a residence from 1616 to 1623.
From 1773 to 1920 the castle and the village of Gollub belonged to Prussia. After the Treaty of Versailles in 1919, the castle and the village came to the newly founded Second Polish Republic.
The Dehio-Handbuch Nordostdeutschland of 1906 mentioned in “Golub” (sic!) the “Ordensschloß” as a “relatively well preserved ruin”.
Today the castle has been completely restored and houses a hotel and a museum.
The village of Dobrzyń across the river belonged to the land of Dobrzyń, named after another Dobrzyń situated on the Vistula. After temporary occupation by the Teutonic Order, this part of Kujawy belonged to the Kingdom of Poland from the Treaty of Kalish (1343) until the Second Partition of Poland (1793), to Congress Poland after the Congress of Vienna in 1815, and later to the Russian Empire.
– Collection of pictures
- Tomasz Torbus: Die Konventsburgen im Deutschordensland Preußen. Oldenbourg, Munich 1998, ISBN 3-486-56358-0, pp. 137-144, 414-426, doi :10.11588/diglit.43361.