Galina Pawlowna Matwijewskaja
Matveyevskaya attended school in Kharkov and, after the beginning of the German-Soviet War, in Chkalov. After graduating in 1948 with a gold medal, she studied at Leningrad University in the Department of Mathematics and Mechanics, graduating in 1954, after which she became an aspirant in the Leningrad Department of the Moscow Institute of History of Science and Technology (named after Sergei Ivanovich Vavilov in 1991) of the USSR Academy of Sciences. She studied unpublished manuscripts of Leonhard Euler on number theory. In 1959 she successfully defended her dissertation for the degree of Candidate of Physical-Mathematical Sciences.
In 1959, Matvievsky became a research associate at the Institute of Mathematics of the Academy of Sciences of the Uzbek Soviet Socialist Republic (AN-USSR) in Tashkent. She became an orientalist and researched the history of mathematics in the Near and Middle East using medieval Arabic manuscripts. In 1968 she successfully defended her doctoral dissertation for the 1969 doctorate in physical-mathematical sciences. In 1984 she was elected a Corresponding Member of the AN-USSR. In 1987 her work on the scholar Albrecht Dürer was published. She cooperated with Boris Abramovich Rosenfeld.
In 1994 Matviyeskaya became a professor at the Orenburg State Pedagogical University. In 1995 she became a member of the Académie internationale d’histoire des sciences. Her research focus now became science and education in the Orenburg region in the 18th-19th centuries. She published works on Pyotr Ivanovich Rychkov, Vasily Alexeyevich Perovsky, Vladimir Ivanovich Dal, Yakov Vladimirovich Khanykov, etc. She has been a member of the Union of Writers of Russia since 2000.
- Biruni State Prize of the USSR in the field of science and technology (1974)
- Honored scientist of the Uzbek Soviet Socialist Republic (UzSSR) (1980)
- Orenburg Lyre Prize of the Orenburg State Art College (2002, 2011)
- All-Russian Pushkin Literary Prize Kapitanskaya dotschka of the Union of Writers of Russia and Orenburg Oblast (2005)
- Honorary member of the Higher Vocational Training (2010)
- Math-Net.Ru: Matvievskaya, Galina Pavlovna
- Literature by and about Galina Pavlovna Matvievskaya in the WorldCat bibliographic database
- Catalogue of the Russian National Library: Матвиевская, Галина Павловна
- Encyclopedia of Modern Ukraine: Матвієвська Галина Павлівна (retrieved 16 June 2020).
- 90 лет назад 13 июля 1930 года родилась Галина Павловна Матвиевская (retrieved June 16, 2020).
- Galina P. Matvievskaja, Elena P. Ožigova: Leonhard Euler’s handwritten legacy on number theory. In: Leonhard Euler 1707-1783. Birkhäuser Verlag, Basel 1983, ISBN 978-3-0348-9351-0, pp. 151-160, doi:10.1007/978-3-0348-9350-3_5 ( [accessed June 17, 2020]).
- Miliband S. D.: Востоковеды России: XX – начало XXI века : Биобиблиографический словарь: В 2-х книгах. Кн. 1: А-М. Восточная литература, Moscow 2008, ISBN 978-5-02-036364-9.
- Matvievskaya, Galina Pavlovna: Al’brecht Djurer – učenyj: 1471-1528. Nauka, Moscow 1987.
- Galina Matvievskaïa, Boris Rosenfeld: Matematiki i astronomy musulmanskogo srednevekovya i ikh trudy (VIII-XVII vv.). Nauka, Moscow 1985.
- Всероссийская литературная Пушкинская премия “Капитанская дочка” (retrieved 16 June 2020).
|NAME||Matvievskaya, Galina Pavlovna|
|ALTERNATE NAMES||Матвиевская, Галина Павловна (Russian)|
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||soviet-Russian historian of mathematics, orientalist and university lecturer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||13. July 1930|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Dnepropetrovsk|