Frank Cheney, Jr. (born August 14, 1860 in Manchester, Hartford County, Connecticut; † March 31, 1957 ibid) was a U.S. silk manufacturer.
Family and education
Frank Cheney, son of Cheney Brothers Silk Manufacturing Company co-founder Frank Cheney Sr. (1817-1904) and Susan Jarvis Cushing Cheney (1827-1914), graduated from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge in 1882.
Frank Cheney married Florence White Wade (1860-1930) on January 6, 1897. The daughter Frances Virginia was born of this marriage. Cheney died at the end of March 1957 at the age of 96 in his hometown Manchester. He found his final resting place in the East Cemetery there.
After graduation, Cheney joined Cheney Brothers, one of the leading silk manufacturing and processing companies in the United States until the Great Depression of the 1930s, most recently serving as Chairman of the Board. Cheney also served as president of the Savings Bank of Manchester and as a director of the Phoenix Mutual Life Insurance Company of Hartford, the Phoenix State Bank & Trust Company of Hartford, and the Hartford Electric Light Company.
A member of the Republican Party, he served in the Connecticut House of Representatives from 1905 to 1909.
- The Insurance Almanac and Encyclopedia. : Volume 12. Underwriter Print. and Publishing Company, New York, 1925, p. 276.
- Connecticut. General Assembly: Public Documents of the State of Connecticut : Volume 2. Printed by order of the General Assembly, Hartford, Conn. 1952, p. 52.
- The National Cyclopaedia of American Biography: Being the History of the United States as Illustrated in the Lives of the Founders, Builders, and Defenders of the Republic, and of the Men and Women who are Doing the Work and Moulding the Thought of the Present Time : Volume 19. J.T. White Co., New York, 1967, p. 76.
- Who was who in America : Volume V, 1969-1973 with world notables. Marquis Who’s Who, New Providence, NJ., 1973, p. 128.
- Frank Cheney in the database of Find a Grave (english
|ALTERNATE NAMES||Cheney, Frank Jr.|
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||Maker of silk|
|DATE OF BIRTH||14. August 1860|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Manchester, Hartford County, Connecticut|
|STERBEDATUM||31. March 1957|
|DESTINATION||Manchester, Hartford County, Connecticut|